Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have a 2009 Hyundai Santa Fe that was recalled for a oil leak onto the alternator. I had the alternator replaced once back in Oct but the mechanic never fixed the leak. Then this December 2019 it went out again.. I had it replaced and took it to another mechanic to fix the leak. He said that Hyundai recommends putting a bead of Silicon along the valve cover to stop it but told me this isn't a fix but more of a patch. There is also the possibility that it could be the timing cover which he said that isnt a fix as well. So.....

1.) can anyone tell me if there is a permanent fix to stop oil leaks onto the alternator. ( anyone else have this temporary work done where they put silicon to stop the leak ? if so how long did that last ?)
2.) how come on the official Hyundai website when I put in my VIN to see if I am affected by this recall it says I am but no Hyundai dealership has any active campaigns for this so they wont perform the work, Not even when I call Hyundai Customer service do they have any campaigns. Just a little misleading when the website says I am affected and list all kind of dealerships but yet they wont do the work. (confusing)

·
Registered
4,171 Posts
I tried chasing down this recall on google, stumbled across a few things but it looks like it ended in 2014. The repair manual mentions having sealant placed stategically prior to installation, no idea if that's the fix or standard practice but I've seen this in other vehicles like a Mits V6 I had with DOHC. The V6 in my last magan(Diamante) the rear bank would usually last close to 5 years and then leak.

Your vehicle is over 10 years old, if it was such an issue I expect it would have presented itself before now and who's been working on this vehicle? has noone spotted the oil leak? No drips on the ground? I'm not surprised really that they would not do this work now. Seals and gaskets fail over time, they degrade. I think it's disappointing the first mechanic did not identify the issue as needing repair the first time

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just replace the tappet cover/s gaskets and use a small amount of red or blue silastic to provide a permanent seal.
Im not sure , but I think thats what I just had done a few days ago . No problem yet. He just put some kind of Silicone on there to stop the leak. Im hoping that last at least a few years

·
Registered
47 Posts
I tried chasing down this recall on google, stumbled across a few things but it looks like it ended in 2014. The repair manual mentions having sealant placed stategically prior to installation, no idea if that's the fix or standard practice but I've seen this in other vehicles like a Mits V6 I had with DOHC. The V6 in my last magan(Diamante) the rear bank would usually last close to 5 years and then leak.

Your vehicle is over 10 years old, if it was such an issue I expect it would have presented itself before now and who's been working on this vehicle? has noone spotted the oil leak? No drips on the ground? I'm not surprised really that they would not do this work now. Seals and gaskets fail over time, they degrade. I think it's disappointing the first mechanic did not identify the issue as needing repair the first time
I just recently started having the oil leak/alternator problem. The Hyundai website said my Santa Fe was affected and I was able to make an appointment at my local dealer for the recall from the website so I don't think it's ended. I had 2 other open recalls from further back and they took care of those too. The dealer performed the work, no questions asked, they even changed out the oil at no charge (not sure that's apart of the recall work tho). Its been a few weeks and it all seems to be fine.

The leak started all of a sudden and no oil ever hit the ground. I was pushing the truck in the last couple of weeks so that probably contributed to the extra oil leaking. I was have electrical issues and while diagnosing that, I saw the leak. My Google search on how to change the cover gasket revealed the recall notice.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I just recently started having the oil leak/alternator problem. The Hyundai website said my Santa Fe was affected and I was able to make an appointment at my local dealer for the recall from the website so I don't think it's ended. I had 2 other open recalls from further back and they took care of those too. The dealer performed the work, no questions asked, they even changed out the oil at no charge (not sure that's apart of the recall work tho). Its been a few weeks and it all seems to be fine.

The leak started all of a sudden and no oil ever hit the ground. I was pushing the truck in the last couple of weeks so that probably contributed to the extra oil leaking. I was have electrical issues and while diagnosing that, I saw the leak. My Google search on how to change the cover gasket revealed the recall notice.

Can you tell me what dealership and where was this? Because I called about 6 or 7 dealerships around here and they wont do it. Thanks

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I also had the issue you discussed, just made my first post about it before I saw your post here. I had mine done here in MN where are you located?

Hello , Im in Cedar Rapids Iowa. Can you advise what dealership did the work . I would like just to call them and talk to them because I called around 5 dealerships here and they show no campaigns for it and neither did the Hyundai Customer Service. Also can I ask what did they do ? Did they just seal the Valve cover shut with Silicon ? It sounds like there is no permanent fix for this, as it just keeps leaking. Hyundai seems so disappointing.

·
Registered
308 Posts
i've not seen photos of the internals of the 3.3 valve covers... but the older VWs used to have a plastic piece that went in between the valve cover and cams to reduce the amount of oil splashing around (and windage) that would reach the valve cover gaskets. It also served the function of keeping less oil out of the PCV system. Perhaps someone should look into this.

Hello , Im in Cedar Rapids Iowa. Can you advise what dealership did the work . I would like just to call them and talk to them because I called around 5 dealerships here and they show no campaigns for it and neither did the Hyundai Customer Service. Also can I ask what did they do ? Did they just seal the Valve cover shut with Silicon ? It sounds like there is no permanent fix for this, as it just keeps leaking. Hyundai seems so disappointing.

·
Registered
38 Posts
My alternator had also went out while I was on the freeway and had to get it towed home. It's unfortunate but the source of the problem is the valve cover and timing cover gasket that has been leaking over time onto the alternator due to its location on the engine. I had taken out the alternator and cleaned it out with brake cleaner and degreaser and took it to an auto shop to get it tested and it was still OK to use. So I didn't have to buy a replacement! I had the recall done a while back and they had replaced the alternator then but now that the car is about 12 years old I'm pretty sure the dealer has nothing to do with it now. Now I'm watching YouTube videos on how mechanics perform timing cover gasket replacements and it involves removing the whole engine from the frame....no thanks! So at this point I had applied some gasket maker RTV from the auto store right along where the oil leak was visible. So basically a temporary fix for now. Would love to keep this car but it starting not to seem so reliable anymore. It was a great family car ever since the kids were born...bummer!

·
Registered
5 Posts
there is actually a factory recall on the valve cover gasket seal above the alternator because it has a lot of problems so just go to the dealership and have them fix it for free.

·
Registered
2 Posts
So I have a 2009 Hyundai Santa Fe that was recalled for a oil leak onto the alternator. I had the alternator replaced once back in Oct but the mechanic never fixed the leak. Then this December 2019 it went out again.. I had it replaced and took it to another mechanic to fix the leak. He said that Hyundai recommends putting a bead of Silicon along the valve cover to stop it but told me this isn't a fix but more of a patch. There is also the possibility that it could be the timing cover which he said that isnt a fix as well. So.....

1.) can anyone tell me if there is a permanent fix to stop oil leaks onto the alternator. ( anyone else have this temporary work done where they put silicon to stop the leak ? if so how long did that last ?)
2.) how come on the official Hyundai website when I put in my VIN to see if I am affected by this recall it says I am but no Hyundai dealership has any active campaigns for this so they wont perform the work, Not even when I call Hyundai Customer service do they have any campaigns. Just a little misleading when the website says I am affected and list all kind of dealerships but yet they wont do the work. (confusing)
Me to!! I went through the exact same confusion and I've been dealing w/alt/batt issues resulting in being stranded/barely driving for last 6 months and that oil leak has been repeatedly brought to my attention..I had no idea they were related and I didn't own vehicle when the campaign was in effect.

·
Registered
16 Posts
FWIW - I had my '07 recall done years ago and just recently my alternator failed for the same reason. I put a new one in myself because according to the dealers I spoke with the recall covers only ONE TIME. So now I'm thinking about cutting little baffles/fins out of plastic and then epoxying them to the alternator above the air inlet vents to direct any further oil away from the alternator. Can't hurt. **** luck and don't we wish Hyundai would have had a "let's correct the issue" attitude except claiming "you're on your own".
Anyone has any other ideas please share.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I just got a letter from Hyundai about his and as asked to take it to the dealer got a trpaor
Removing the valve cover and replacing the rubber gasket with a new one is what you need to do,, but adding a bead of sealant product (such as a silicone) is the only way I know of to really stop the oil leak. If the surfaces are not completely degreased (around where the gasket is located) then the silicone will not adhere as well. Use mineral spirits or similar product to get surfaces Very Clean, especially around the lower "corners" (close to alternator) which are prone to leakage.. On the silicone (Tube) are written instructions which must be followed exactly for best results..(For example, some of them say to apply a bead of silicone to both surfaces - then let the product "skin" prior to installing the valve cover)
One person on here mentioned the idea of rigging up some kind of shield around the alternator to shield it from the oil leakage, but that idea will not work. For one thing, the alternator needs the air circulation to keep it cool..
Seems like a great many people do not take the time to read (and understand) all that fine print writing on the silicone sealers which are used so much now days. If you just put some gasket sealer on and assemble the parts, it will not work as well.. I have also used 3M super weather stripping adhesive to seal gaskets for many years before the silicones existed.. I got excellent results, as long as all surfaces to be joined together were "CLEAN" totally free of grease or oil..

·
Registered
108 Posts
Your alternator generates heat during it's normal operation, and that is why alternators have the holes designed into them (for cooling) the air turbulence from the engine cooling fan is needed to cool the alternator - so therefore, if you rig some kind of shield around the alternator, very little air flow will reach your alternator. before long, you have an alternator (running too hot) failure, plus your oil leak you started out with is still there. Fixing the original issue (oil leak) is what I would do on my car. . I know it might be tempting to take (what appears to be) the "easy way out" , but.. Good luck to Ya

·
Registered
6 Posts
Timing cover leaking
No the cover valve

1 - 19 of 19 Posts