Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I found this site after searching for aftermarket replacement GPS/Media units for my Hyundai Sonata Limited (2009).

A couple of weeks ago, my in-dash system (Infinity) which includes GPS, DVD/Media player, AM/FM/XM, began freezing up on me and randomly rebooting. I also get a pop-up window, like you see in Windows XP, about a fatal error in NFANavi.exe "Application NFANavi.exe has performed an illegal operation". This leads me to believe the operating system is corrupt somewhere. I can still control volume and scan radio channels but the screen is frozen or rebooting to the Hyundai logo screen. GPS also freezes and the control buttons stop working.

I went back to the Hyundai dealer where I bought the vehicle a few months ago (used, obviously). They did a reset and noted that the unit will still lock-up. They offered to replace the unit for $2,100 since it was no longer under warranty. That was unacceptable.

I contacted Hyundai USA who informed me the in-dash units are only covered for 3-years/36,000 miles. Contact the dealer for help - which I did without success.

I then contacted Infinity. It's their system, right? Infinity informs me this is an OEM product...they supply the speaker system, not the radio/GPS.

After searching for the software in the error messages (NFANavi), I found a website that supplies the GPS and operating systems (O/S) for Hyundai. Downloading a map update usually includes O/S fixes and updates as well - it fits on a USB memory stick and the unit sees this and updates itself when it reboots. Unfortunately, the older model Hyundai requires contacting the local dealer...again, got nowhere with them.

So what are my options? Does anyone know where or how to get a software update or how to fix this? Or, am I better off finding a new unit to replace this one?

Thanks!
Mike

PS: Sorry for the lengthy message, but I wanted to detail what I have done to resolve this issue.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Go to cructchfield or JRmusic on line and get another deck. You can find trim pieces that fit well, may not be the right color but plastic paint solves that issue. Its not hard to DIY, but installers always do a better job than I can. I think you are SOL on the stock radio.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. I was looking at Crutchfield before since I purchased an CD/HD receiver from them for another vehicle I owned and it came with the outer trip to look like it was stock. All I had to do was solder the included wiring harness which was easy enough. Haven't looked at JRMusic, yet. I think $600 for an after-market is better than the $2,100 Hyundai quoted me (plus $150 installation!). It's just sad that there is no way to fix or re-install the operating system in this factory unit. Thanks again, Mike

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
I agree; aftermarket's better. I'd also suggest you lose the GPS and buy a Garmin or use your smartphone. Aftermarket radios with GPS are VERY expensive and if you don't like the GPS you're stuck with it. Ask me how I know.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the information, Dennis. I was looking at the JVC KW-NT510HDT which has great features and positive reviews. I have ALK's CoPilot on my tablet and phone but sticking either of them on the dash or elsewhere seems...I don't know, out of place? If I can keep it all in-dash and get map/firmware updates, I would rather go that route.

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
I think you'll like that JVC. It looks like Garmin did the GPS software, and that's a GOOD thing. The Pioneer radio I had ... I don't know who wrote the software, but it stunk up the joint. Unless you're REAL good at wiring you probably want to have it professionally installed. Several of us have installed aftermarket radios and would be happy to help.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Oh I didn't realize Garmin did the software on the JVC. I know the Kenwood (DNX570HD) is Garmin. I like Garmin products and have an old Nuvi GPS somewhere. On the JVC, I saw references to Navteq.

I'm good with wiring, soldering, following diagrams/charts, so hopefully it won't be too bad. I'm not sure how to get this factory radio out. The instructions may be included with the replacement radio. I know Crutchfield included details and a removal tool for a truck I replaced the radio in. But just in case, I know where to go for assistance (here!). Thanks!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts