Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2009 Hyundai i30 1.6l petrol, automatic transmission. The car is 10 years old with 53K miles on it.
The car is routinely maintained, regular oil changes and fluid levels checked and topped up when necessary.

I have been having problems with car stalling when idle when in traffic and sometimes when coasting with rpm around 1000 RPM .

There are times when the car has problems starting, where I have to turn the ignition on for a couple of seconds before starting the ignition of the car to get the car to start.
I did a test to see if I can reproduce the problem by starting the car and have it idle for about 10 minutes to see if it would stall, which it did not. The stalling issue seems to happen after the car has been moving for some time.

There are also times when the car eventually starts it is sputtering, feels as if the car is missing and wants to stall , with the Tachometer showing 0 rpm even though the engine is on. When accelerator is pressed, tachometer needle does not move. When this happens I shutdown the engine wait about 10 seconds and start it would start and not stutter as it did previously, and the tachometer would now register the RPM

I spoke to my mechanic and he mention the fuel filter needs to be changed, as it was not changed since the car was purchased. The fuel filter was changed but the problem still exists.
The mechanic later cleaned the throttle body and the issue remains.

In addition the spark plugs and air filter were changed as well.

I was thinking it could be the fuel pump could be the issue.

What could be the cause of this issue?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you

·
Registered
6,890 Posts
Crank sensor or bad grounds.

·
Registered
Drives : Nissan NV200 Flies : Rans S6ES
14,706 Posts
Is it possible for the crankshaft position sensor to have a problem when the check engine light is not on ?
Yes.

If I helped you fix it, why not...

Your support is greatly appreciated

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Based on what I described, what would lead you to say the crank sensor and bad grounds being cause of the problem over the fuel pump ?
I ask because I want to understand your reasons for choosing those two areas.

·
Registered
6,890 Posts
Based on what I described, what would lead you to say the crank sensor and bad grounds being cause of the problem over the fuel pump ?
Training and experience. The reason would result in a book if we were to explain it all. The books already exist.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Training and experience. The reason would result in a book if we were to explain it all. The books already exist.
I will get the replacement crankshaft sensor today and replace and tell you how it does. Thanks alot for your help.

·
Registered
Drives : Nissan NV200 Flies : Rans S6ES
14,706 Posts
what would lead you to say the crank sensor and bad grounds being cause of the problem over the fuel pump ?
I don't want to rewrite the book but here are a couple of things I'd consider when diagnosing this type of issue :
The first thing is a faulty fuel pump would have no effect on the rev counter. But the signal that drives the rev counter originates at the crank sensor. So this symptom of the fault would have me looking at the crank sensor rather than the fuel pump.

Also, fuel pump issues generally show up when the engine is operating under load. The common symptoms are a lack of engine performance during rapid acceleration or when climbing a hill. Those are situations were the engine would be making the greatest demand for fuel so it is when a weakness in the fuel pump is more likely to show itself. There isn't much demand for fuel when the engine is at idle, and even less when coasting so it's unlikely a fuel pump issue would cause the engine to quit under those conditions.

If I helped you fix it, why not...

Your support is greatly appreciated

·
Registered
8,004 Posts
I believe too that when starting, after the initial squirt, if no crank signal is seen, no more fuel pump power.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the explanation.
It makes sense as the car has no issues when doing rapid acceleration and also has no issues when climbing a hill. The stalling happens usually when idling or coasting.
Also the tachometer was 0 and car miss firing creating a very rough idle (similar to what I experienced when a sparkplug coil failed ) to what I experience when a few times when starting the car is what led you point to the crankshaft sensor as being one of the problem areas.

In addition where can I get a service manual for my car?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts