Hyundai Forums banner

2009 Hyundai Accent cranks but doesn’t start

6K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  1neeto 
#1 ·
Hi I have a 2009 Hyundai Accent manual. I started having problems with it last summer it would crank forever and then start. It went on for a while and then just stopped. I have put a new battery in it, spark plugs, starter, and checked the timing. It still only cranks but won’t start. I can pop start it and once it starts it runs completely fine.

#4 ·
I can pop start it and once it starts it runs completely fine.
If it was a bad crank sensor I don't think the engine would start and run "fine" with a push start, but if OP can confirm that the tach needle moves (or he sees RPM signal on a scan tool) when the engine is cranking or running then that would be helpful information. If the CEL is on and/or if there are any codes that were pulled from the ECM then that would also be helpful.

#7 ·
If the valve is stuck it wouldn't make a difference if using starter or not. If it's struggling to turn over it may be drawing enough current to bring the voltage of the battery low enough that the computer system will not operate. May seem to turn over just fine but....

#8 ·
I was driving and car shut off, I tried restarting etc.. I was towed home and did all of the usual backyard mechanic checks (got fuel, got spark got air) and could see the crankshaft position sensor was working since the tach moved while cranking the engine over.

I was stumped until it dawned on me "it almost like the timing is off", so I took off a timing belt cover to see if the belt was good.

This is what I found, the idler pulley had exploded.

I talked to a lot of foreign car mechanics and they ALL say " thats a bummer, the engine is trashed" .

So if your lucky and the car shuts off while your going under 25 or so, and you dont crank it over to restart it, you may get lucky and not destroy your engine.

Id check your timing belt if everything else fails.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.