Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 2009 Elantra with 6 speaker XM stereo . The car has about 50k miles. As of now the radio has started to loose fidelity intermittently, the speakers seem to become overwhelmed with static even though the music is still playing the speakers just kind of loose their fidelity to static. This isn't radio static as it happens on all inputs. I have taken the car back to the dealer who surmised that the issue was with the stereo itself and not wiring, unfortunately the stereo is only covered till 36k miles and would be 589$ to replace... yeah right. The issue doesn't seem to be triggered by anything in particular I've tried making it happen playing with the a/c, hazard lights, cruise control, anything electrical and nothing makes it start, the only thing i can say is that it seems to stop when i hit the dash. I have removed the radio myself and taken it apart to check if there was any bad soder and found no issues the wires and everything is clean and secure.

If anyone has run into this issue I would appreciate any insight, I don't want to have to put in an aftermarket or used factory radio if i don't have to.

Thanks.

·
Retired Staff
11,818 Posts
Sounds like it may be a bad or loose ground. Not sure where to check with this car though, never owned one. Pull the head unit and start there then follow the wires. If you cant figure it out then aftermarket head units are the way to go.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yeah Ive pulled the head unit and checked it for any loose cabling and found none. The dealer stated all the grounds/wiring on the car is good.

·
Registered
8 Posts
yeah Ive pulled the head unit and checked it for any loose cabling and found none. The dealer stated all the grounds/wiring on the car is good.
Oh man I registered just to comment on this. Sorry about the length.

Same exact problem, speakers were solid for about 45K miles, then lots of static, popping noises, and cutting out of music. It would only occur when my car was moving. Parked, or at a light, perfect, but moving just made it worse and worse until I couldn't stand it.

I originally thought I had blown a speaker, due to my negligence, so took it to an after market place since speakers are only covered for like the first year or something. They swapped out all 6 speakers with brand new ones, but as soon as I left I could hear the bass change when the car moved...and eventually degraded back to the original state. Took it back explained what was up, the looked at it again, replaced all of the speaker wire and said they couldn't replicate the problem. They said that there was a grounding/short issue causing the radio to cut itself off due to the tight wiring in the vehicle. So essentially fixed? Nope same problems not even a day later. Finally brought it back in again today, they did an extensive diagnostic test, where they literally drove around for 20 min with my door panels taken apart to check everything at different volumes. They deduced that the amplifier that is built into the head unit is what the problem is. Essentially I need a new head unit, and will be going there tom. to get that done. Sucks that I spent 400 hundred on the aftermarket speakers thinking they were the issue.....

TLDR:Same problem, Head unit bad, Giant pain in my Ass

·
Registered
8 Posts
Thanks, I was having a super hard time finding any info with my "google-fu" when I first encountered the issue. I figured it would be helpful for any future consumers. I sent him a PM and hopefully he gets it resolved...

I am gonna go make another thread about any possible 2-din hangups I might end up with...

·
6,836 Posts
Welcome username I shall not repeat. Thanks for the info I'm sure others will appreciate it in the future.
I had to visit Urban Dictionary to see what his name meant, and now wish I hadn't. :(

Sorry, I accidentally hit "Edit" instead of "Quote" on your post, Zak. Still getting used to this mod thing. :mellow:

·
Registered
8 Posts
thanks for the info man, working on finding a factory replacement (not from the dealer). this sucks.

I completely feel you frustration, I had to deal with it for close to 3 months. Along with bringing my car to the aftermarket place 3 different times before they were able to find that the head unit was the issue.

If you are looking to replace the stock one here is one from ebay for fairly cheap. I went the other way and decided to get a touch screen dvd/multi media player. Posted photos in another thread of it actually. Good luck man!
http://compare.ebay.com/like/390442636283?var=lv<yp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar&_lwgsi=y&cbt=y

As for my username, it's from Southpark's "Make Love Not Warcraft" episode (it's Stan's characters name) Even if you find Southpark to awful to watch, this is one of their better episodes. ;)

·
Registered
1 Posts
radio down

Sorry to necro an old post, came across the same issue and it got to the point where it stopped all sound. popped it all out and all wires were secure. no frays or nothing.

long story short, was wondering if you guys have any recommendations for replacements and what I'm going to get into for adapters.

Thanks in advanced.

·
Registered
1 Posts
2009 Hyundai Elantra Radio problem

My car has similar problem. I get static on all modalities. Sometimes the radio goes out completely if, I hold my hand against the radio face plate with slight pressure the problem goes away but returns as soon as I remove my hand. Also, I notice that when my radio is turned off I get static from my speakers once again if I put slight pressure on the radio face plate the static stops. Does anyone know if Hyundai has any recalls on these radio's?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I
I have an 2009 Elantra with 6 speaker XM stereo . The car has about 50k miles. As of now the radio has started to loose fidelity intermittently, the speakers seem to become overwhelmed with static even though the music is still playing the speakers just kind of loose their fidelity to static. This isn't radio static as it happens on all inputs. I have taken the car back to the dealer who surmised that the issue was with the stereo itself and not wiring, unfortunately the stereo is only covered till 36k miles and would be 589$ to replace... yeah right. The issue doesn't seem to be triggered by anything in particular I've tried making it happen playing with the a/c, hazard lights, cruise control, anything electrical and nothing makes it start, the only thing i can say is that it seems to stop when i hit the dash. I have removed the radio myself and taken it apart to check if there was any bad soder and found no issues the wires and everything is clean and secure.

If anyone has run into this issue I would appreciate any insight, I don't want to have to put in an aftermarket or used factory radio if i don't have to.

Thanks.
got the same problem with my Hyundai Elantra 2009. At first I thought it was a speaker. But 1 day my nephew said hit the radio and it fixed it but once I go over bumps it comes back . When I make turn speaker goes out I left a whole bunch of static. I pulled the head unit and the problem goes away . I wiggle the connectors I don’t hear nothing. But once I put it back in and drive all the static popping humming sound comes back. I’m glad to hear it’s the radio.

·
Registered
2 Posts
2009 Hyundai Elantra Radio problem

My car has similar problem. I get static on all modalities. Sometimes the radio goes out completely if, I hold my hand against the radio face plate with slight pressure the problem goes away but returns as soon as I remove my hand. Also, I notice that when my radio is turned off I get static from my speakers once again if I put slight pressure on the radio face plate the static stops. Does anyone know if Hyundai has any recalls on these radio's?
I got it too man.its weird. It’s for sure the head unit. I’m about to order a replacement

1 - 16 of 16 Posts