Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 09 Sonata needs a brake job and I like to do them myself. I have some minor pulsing of the front rotors so I would prefer to replace them rather than hassling around with getting them turned. The auto parts store sells a premium rotor that is flat to within 0.004 inches and a super premium rotor which is flat to within 0.002 inches for twice the price. My first question is this: which one meets the sonata spec for required runout? Second question is this: Are the original brake pads organic semi-metallic or ceramic?

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
Are the original brake pads organic semi-metallic or ceramic?
If you're going to do a diy for rotor swap, you probably want to go ahead and swap out the pads. You have to take them out anyways to put on your rotors, might as well add 40 bucks for a good front set. Unless they're bran new or something. Just go with ceramic; it's better.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I agree, I am also replacing the pads. Actually, I'm doing the rotors because I'll have it all apart to do the pads. I put on mostly highway miles (75 miles every day) so my brakes last a long time. This will be the first set of new pads and rotors on the Sonata. It has 82,000 miles.

I have used ceramic pads in the past on other cars and I didn't really like them. They squealed to the point of being very annoying. That's been my experience but I suppose they aren't all the same. Mine were bought a NAPA.

Does anyone have any info on allowable run out for the disks? I went to the store to buy a Haynes manual but there isn't one available for the 09 Sonata.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks. So you had no pulsing with the premium rotors? For the cost of the premium rotors I could get my original rotors machined but I don't see the point since it delays me getting done while i have to wait for them and sets up the conditions for future pulsing since much of the thermal mass gets removed with the machining. This is my first car with 4 wheel disk brakes. Is it a safe assumption that the front disk pads wear faster than those in the back?

·
Registered
125 Posts
Thanks. So you had no pulsing with the premium rotors? For the cost of the premium rotors I could get my original rotors machined but I don't see the point since it delays me getting done while i have to wait for them and sets up the conditions for future pulsing since much of the thermal mass gets removed with the machining. This is my first car with 4 wheel disk brakes. Is it a safe assumption that the front disk pads wear faster than those in the back?
No, no pulsing at all. I believe the NAPA premium is OEM standard or better. That is what they would put on at any local shop, unless you specified otherwise. It's not worth getting them turned, just get new rotors for the same price.

And yes my front brakes have worn MUCH faster than the rear.

·
Registered
122 Posts
If you are going to tackle this job there are a bunch of threads on this. I did my 09 sonatas breaks in june. Got everything from rockauto, there is a bunch of different options but i went raybestos premium rotors and wagner thremoquiet ceramic pads. IDK if you have alloys or the steelies, but the rotors with the black coating on the hub portion look better cause they don't rust. If you get plain rotors you can always spray them with some back engine enamel. just take care to mask off the breaking surface so you don't clog up the pads. You will likely have to file the pad ears a bit to make sure they are freely moving. Also file down the brake brackets to bare metal so the accumulated rust doesnt pinch the metal shims. I live in the northeast and my back brake were completely worn because of this rust issue. If you have the time and are feeling ambitious you should paint the calipers and brackets after you have cleaned all the rust. Get some quality high temp grease for the pads and shims and some silicone for the guide pins.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Can anyone tell me what the OEM pads are on the 09 sonata? Are they organic, semi-metallic or ceramic? Everyone just told me to use ceramic pads, but I like what came on the car...are those ceramic or what? Thanks for all the input/

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
OEM pads are ceramic.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I used liberally amount of anti-seized compound on all contact areas (not rotor nor studs) after rust removal .. as Hyundai metal is very low grade..

·
Registered
8 Posts
Both ceramic and semi-metallic OEM brake pads offer certain advantages over other types. Because they are soft, ceramic pads do not damage rotors and provide smooth, even friction during braking. Ceramic pads are also clean and produce less dust as they wear down.

·
Registered
325 Posts
I've switched out all of my ceramic pads over time back to semi-metallic. They do so much better towing and holding up to mountain driving conditions.

BTW, I find that brick and mortar stores prices are much higher than what you would pay for at rockauto. If you do decide not to use mail order, I second using Napa's rotors.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts