Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those of you with 2009 and 2010 Sonatas, does the chrome trim around the air conditioning vents ever reflect light right into your eyes? I never thought this would bother me this much but I can't enjoy driving from the hours of 10AM to 2PM because when the sun is about directly overhead, the **** chrome trim shines into my eyes! Sometimes I wish I test drove the car during those hours so that I wouldn't have bought the **** thing.

Sorry about the rant. I'm looking for ways to remove this trim or paint it or something. I don't want a ghetto fix like taking a Sharpie to color it black/purple. Any suggestions? I think I could start enjoying driving again if I could just get rid of the reflection.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
Those vents are oft broken so most manufacturers make them replaceable; they're replaceable on my 2006. They pop off easily but the white plastic clips that hold them in place pop off, too. I think it would be possible to mask them so the chrome part could be painted over. Or you could go for a two-tone effect by painting the AC covers without masking.

·
Banned
7,070 Posts
I couldn't drive the 5G Sonata (2009-2011) because of that Chrome. Same with the Nissan Altima. Chrome does not belong on the inside.

We just had this same thread last Week. Personally I like the un refined manly look of the 2006-2007-2008 NF Sonata. 236HP too :thumbsup:

"Quando omni flunkus moritati"

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
I'm also in Florida and don't have this issue, then again it is Florida and I drive with sunglasses on.
Although not an issue for me even without them.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for your replies. I've found an easy, non-permanent way to "fix" this problem. After purchasing my car, Hyundai sent me a complimentary "non-slide" mat for placing cell phones, change, etc on top of the dash. Everytime the reflection bothers me, I just close the A/C vent and slap on the mat onto it. Its definitely helped out and it doesn't leave any residue on the chrome trim.

I guess I could live with this but its definitely taught me to pay attention to small things like this before purchasing a car for myself or helping someone purchase a car.

·
Banned
4,119 Posts
So you plan driving all Summer with your A/C vents covered? In Florida? Hmmmm....... or are you gonna move to North Dakota for the perfect solution?

But, really, is THAT reflection the one **** cause that would have prevented you from buying the **** Sonata? You must be a perfectionist. To ME, it would have been just another CHALLENGE to FIX things myself.... Come here, ask for advice, debate it, and go out FIX it, and have the satisfaction of being able to FIX things.... But that's me. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
102 Posts
QUOTE (craigbrooks @ Apr 27 2010, 09:04 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=317487
My response/fix would be to rough up the chrome with a little steel wool.

That or just buy some wood style trim, they sell every piece for that year Nata by now.

·
Registered
943 Posts
Or just tint your windows :innocent:

·
Banned
4,119 Posts
I like Craig's idea. It would give the interior SUCH a nice feel, and modern too..... You just need to do it REAL CAREFULLY, cover the sides with thick masking tape, so no damage is done to the surrounding moldings. Try buffing on a less visible corner, test it first.

·
Registered
900 Posts
I don't have that chrome trim but have noticed it on MANY days (while wearing sunglasses and having tinted windows) that that great, stylish inverted section of our hoods works perfectly for that same reflection. Removing/painting an interior trim I'd be OK with. Reshaping the hood...not so easy and a matte black strip running all around the hood I just don't think would look right.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts