Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Monday when I left for work, my check engine light came on. I had my wife stop at Autozone to get the error code read. They told here is was a dirty injector. Even sold her a can of injector cleaner. Everything I have read points to plugs, or coils. I checked the air filter, it was really dirty. I cleared the error codes. So far the check engine hasn't been back on.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
866 Posts
Hook up scan tool, watch for misfire on cylinder #1.

If misfiring on cylinder #1, switch ignition coils 1 and 4.....

If misfire goes to cylinder 4, you have a bad coil.
If misfire stays on cylinder 1, check and replace plugs

This should fix your problem

Duro

·
Registered
5,282 Posts
Do not take mechanical advice from autozone. If the injectors were dirty enough to cause a code then they will need to be properly cleaned. the stuff in the can will do nothing but waste your money.

Do as suggested by the previous poster. If that shows no change then plugs would be your next thing to check. After that the injector will need to be inspected.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hook up scan tool, watch for misfire on cylinder #1.

If misfiring on cylinder #1, switch ignition coils 1 and 4.....

If misfire goes to cylinder 4, you have a bad coil.
If misfire stays on cylinder 1, check and replace plugs

This should fix your problem

Duro
It never misfired, runs and idles fine. Since I cleared the error code, it hasn't shown up again.

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
p0301 is the code for misfire on cylinder 1.

here is some light reading from a previous topic. almost everyone that had this issue pop up, it was traced back to a faulty coil pack.

http://www.hyundai-forums.com/184-m...ent-check-engine-light-runs-really-rough.html

I had the code once a year ago (p0302). I cleared it, it hasnt come back. If it keeps repeating itself, take the steps that Duro posted to test the issue, replace the proper parts as necessary.

·
Registered
866 Posts
It never misfired, runs and idles fine. Since I cleared the error code, it hasn't shown up again.
The computer can detect a misfire, without you even feeling it. Once a misfire is detected, the computer takes steps to smooth the engine out without you ever even feeling the initial problem.

In order for it to flag a hard code (light on), the malfunction must happen twice, without the computer being able to adjust and correct for it.

Duro

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
MC Accent has has issues with misfire logic, and actual misfires due to bum coil sticks..

MC Accent needs to have latest PCM and TCM updates installed to be current, plug in GDS and see what comes up for both module.

Scan.. misfire detect and you seen MIL flash, swap coil stick to different cylinder and see if misfire follow... yes ... bum coil stick..

I have one here a week or so ago, MIL, misfore code, and slight misfire.. warranty car,, got it 3rd coil stick replacement.. 1 more to go before it has all 4 new style coil installed..

Software updates and bum coil sticks..

BE ADVISED --> MC Accent has plain old regular plugs installed.. 30,000 interval for changing.. do yourself a favor and step up to NGK Platinum at minimum, or go all way and get the NGK IRIDIUM IX plugs with 90-105,000 intervals

·
Registered
54 Posts
MC Accent needs to have latest PCM and TCM updates installed to be current, plug in GDS and see what comes up for both module.
Know this is a common issue but rather than start a new thread, figured I'd ask here:

How receptive are most dealerships to customers specifying that this be the only thing done?

A friend of mine who used to work at a dealership a few years back went to bring the same Make to his local dealer to update the ECM and they gave him a hassle, saying they'd have to spend time (i.e. $$$) on "Diagnosing" the issue first before they'd update the software. Dunno what he landed up doing, but he just said forget it at the time. His response was basically "I've already diagnosed it, as a mechanic myself, and I know it only takes like 15-30 minutes to plug it in and update all the modules".

Being on a tight budget, I'd rather not spend much more than the 1 hour minimum that the dealer would probably charge. Guess I'll have to call and ask them about it tomorrow. Basically the Accent I'm working on has the P0300 codes pop up intermittently for a day, then go away the next day. First it was on #1 IIRC and now on #4. Fairly new plugs of course.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts