Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I am pissed. Bought this car from a hyundai dealer about 2 months ago. Havent even made my first payment on it since. It was sold as is but had been gone through etc etc etc. It was in my price range so I got it. Well 2 days after, car wouldnt start in the cold. I managed to get them to replace the starter for free. So all good there. Now I have only put 1000 miles on the car so far and my speedo stopped working. I know its the VSS because all the other guages work fine. It started with jumping all over the place and then settling back to zero. Well after a couple of days of this and me googling my ass off to no avail to find any information that was useful, it finally stopped. No seat belt ding when driving, no speed, no odometer increase or trip increase, nothing. All other guages work fine so that screams VSS. Also no check engine light either.

My issue is where the **** is thing actually located? I know its on the top of the trans but where? is there any videos out there for our model year showing replacement? Dealer wants me to pay 500.00 to replace and well frankly F that. Anyone able to point me to some useful information? Part #, location, diagram, anything? Appreciate any and all help :)

·
Registered
Drives : Nissan NV200 Flies : Rans S6ES
13,388 Posts
The VSS is normally located on the gearbox above where the drive shafts attach, back near the bulkhead/firewall. It'll have a 3 wire connector...highlighted on the photo below.

Regards.
Scottie.

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I appreciate the response. I did find the part on Hyundai's website too finally. Called the dealer this morning, the guy said it was the correct part number. Its only 27.00 for the entire thing. Crazy they want to charge so much for labor. Part #4362123550 that's the whole assembly minus the bolt to secure it. I am going to verify 100% for sure today that is indeed the issue with my buddies new scanner that owns a body shop. I can read the speed while driving so if it isnt getting anything, then I know the VSS is toast. I will post updates and pics to this thread as well for any future people searching for this problem of how its best to get at etc. Thanks again for the help so far!

·
Registered
Drives : Nissan NV200 Flies : Rans S6ES
13,388 Posts
I can read the speed while driving so if it isnt getting anything, then I know the VSS is toast.
Just be aware that the engine PCM sometimes gets it's speed data from a different speed sensor from the instrument cluster so you might get a speed reading on the scan tool even if the VSS is toast, or there is some other issue with the VSS circuit. When the engine PCM isn't getting vehicle speed data it will normally illuminate the CEL and log a trouble code (P0501, I think).

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just be aware that the engine PCM sometimes gets it's speed data from a different speed sensor from the instrument cluster so you might get a speed reading on the scan tool even if the VSS is toast, or there is some other issue with the VSS circuit. When the engine PCM isn't getting vehicle speed data it will normally illuminate the CEL and log a trouble code (P0501, I think).
Yeah we hooked up the scanner and nothing. No codes, no CEL, nothing. It goes in and out. Speedometer and Odometer started working again a couple fo days ago for 100 miles then quite again. In that 100 miles it was flaky at best jumping all over the place. Im going to order the VSS here later this week as its the cheaper option at this point. If that doesnt fix it, then I am going to look into testing and figuring out if the ECM is bad. Lets hope its just the 27 dollar gear and sensor :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts