Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi-at 37000km we put new tires on and after about 1000km started to hear a high 'woo-woo-woo', from the rear, not really loud but a new noise. Guessing it might be tire noise I checked them for wear and thought the left rear was a bit sharp sliding your hand one direction but smooth slding across the other way. Went for an alignment....it was only slightly off and the mechanic found the right rear wheel bearing was kaput.
It was done under warranty......but, does anyone know if these vehicles are subject to premature bearing failure or was this a fluke? I did not see the bearing so I don't know if it was one of two or a pressed-on type or whatever. It would be nice to know that a wheel won't come flying off or seize up when we're halfway to nowhere if a bearing goes bad again.
This forum was a great discovery.................Pawper

·
Registered
5,886 Posts
I would chalk it up as the luck of the draw, and not worry about it. There are a handful of minor issues for which the 2G Santa Fe is known in this forum, but this is the first time I've heard of a wheel bearing failure.

·
Registered
4 Posts
QUOTE (Pawper @ Jul 9 2010, 02:08 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=340288
Hi-at 37000km we put new tires on and after about 1000km started to hear a high 'woo-woo-woo', from the rear, not really loud but a new noise. Guessing it might be tire noise I checked them for wear and thought the left rear was a bit sharp sliding your hand one direction but smooth slding across the other way. Went for an alignment....it was only slightly off and the mechanic found the right rear wheel bearing was kaput.
It was done under warranty......but, does anyone know if these vehicles are subject to premature bearing failure or was this a fluke? I did not see the bearing so I don't know if it was one of two or a pressed-on type or whatever. It would be nice to know that a wheel won't come flying off or seize up when we're halfway to nowhere if a bearing goes bad again.

Hello:

I had about 45000kms on my Santa Fe and had to get all 4 of my bearings replaced as all 4 failed at same time. Coincidently my co-worker also with a Santa Fe had his bearings replaced.

·
Registered
41 Posts
QUOTE (Don67 @ Jul 12 2010, 04:44 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=340929
I would chalk it up as the luck of the draw, and not worry about it. There are a handful of minor issues for which the 2G Santa Fe is known in this forum, but this is the first time I've heard of a wheel bearing failure.
Hi, thought i would add my voice

at 43000kms we had our rear right go on out 2007 SF 3.3 AWD. Dealer replaced bearing/hub assembly.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
CM chassis been out since late 2006 :thumbsup: ............................ aint put a bearing in 1 yet :banana: ... go figure.

Put an axle in at left front, 1 trans I think, a rear crank seal on a new one, a gas cap for a stupid evap code that assist had me chasing my tail --> system test is vacuum.... manual test tool is pressure.. how's that for sytem testing... pressure tool shows no leal, but self test showed leak.. GAS CAP....

·
Registered
7,163 Posts
QUOTE (trucker @ Aug 14 2010, 10:06 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=349329
Yes, but there are far more owners than members. Not every member reports all problems.

I had two bearings replaced in the first year. Not a big deal. Saw no reason to post about it.
Dunno - we see complaints logged over far more trivial items on a regular basis (e.g., weatherstrip). This thread was the first time I can ever recall seeing this particular problem brought up in this forum. I consider dead wheel bearings to be a significant item. Sort of important to wheeling down the road, and bad news if they fail big time.

·
Registered
501 Posts
QUOTE (canderson @ Aug 14 2010, 03:19 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=349353
I consider dead wheel bearings to be a significant item. Sort of important to wheeling down the road, and bad news if they fail big time.
Of course. But I meant that the problems were discovered during regular maintenance. I've also had several other issues looked after by the dealer. Weatherstripping? Yes. Door lock mechanism? Yes. Intermittant washer motor? Yes. Noisy passenger window mechanism? Yes.

I only reported the last two. Dealer discovered the rest. None caused me any undue hardship.

·
Registered
7 Posts
QUOTE (Don67 @ Jul 12 2010, 05:44 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=340929
Hi there, anywhere I can find a quick list of those issues? We're looking to get into a reliable used vehicle and strongly considering 07 3.3 AWD. Any input would be appreciated... I currently drive a Saab 9-3 2003 and its the worst car in the world in terms of reliability. Three engines later and constant service visits have forced my wife to believe a Honda is the only car in our future...

thoughts? thanks!

·
Registered
7,163 Posts
QUOTE (MooF @ Aug 20 2010, 07:06 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=350677
Hi there, anywhere I can find a quick list of those issues? We're looking to get into a reliable used vehicle and strongly considering 07 3.3 AWD. Any input would be appreciated... I currently drive a Saab 9-3 2003 and its the worst car in the world in terms of reliability. Three engines later and constant service visits have forced my wife to believe a Honda is the only car in our future...

thoughts? thanks!
Sway bar links. Clunk. Quick and easy fix.
Crud/rust develops behind rear caliper pads. Clean and lube annually in many geographic areas (esp with salted roads) to avoid dead pads and rotor damage.
TPS sensor failure throws a pretty predictable set of codes.
Weatherstrip around all 4 doors tends to shrink. They have replacements that are a tad larger or don't shrink, whichever.

Too pooped tonight to recall what others may exist.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My 2009 Sante Fe with 25,000 KMS has just been diagnosed with wheel bearing failure on both rear assemblys.

This is by far the most premature I have ever seen on any vehicle. Will keep you posted on the warranty results.

·
Registered
1 Posts
QUOTE (Pawper @ Jul 9 2010, 02:08 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=340288
I just had to have both of my rear wheel hubs replaced with only 13,500 miles on the clock. I was experiencing the same woo-woo-woo sound. The service person said this is not uncommon, but I have a real concern with so few miles on the vehicle.

·
Registered
28 Posts
78,000 km in 2 1/2 years. My 2009's right rear wheel bearing is completely shot. I thought the increased noise over the past month was from a tire nearing the end of it's life.
The left rear seems to be on the way out too, but dealer said it's not (yet). we'll see.

I wonder why the rear wheel bearings seem to be failing.

It's going to be covered under warranty, which is good.

The list of B.S. "necessary" service items they said I needed (at a cost of $800) was NOT.

but that's another matter...

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
QUOTE (Sppeedddy @ Aug 27 2011, 09:03 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=496535
78,000 km in 2 1/2 years. My 2009's right rear wheel bearing is completely shot. I thought the increased noise over the past month was from a tire nearing the end of it's life.
The left rear seems to be on the way out too, but dealer said it's not (yet). we'll see.

I wonder why the rear wheel bearings seem to be failing.

It's going to be covered under warranty, which is good.

The list of B.S. "necessary" service items they said I needed (at a cost of $800) was NOT.

but that's another matter...
Let me guess, trany flush and fuel injector cleaning where in the mix?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Me too, my 2009 2.2 SF has the four wheel bearings replaced, my sister has a 2006 tucson and after two years has all bearings replaced, the same a cousin with a Tucson and a friend with a terracan, all with less than 3 years, now I have my concerns about Hyundai quality, never before I had to replace wheel bearings, even with 8+ years nissan and toyotas...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts