Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have read all the threads and am still not absolutely clear on the best approach.

I have about 80000 kms on my 2009 2.4L and have decided that I am going to do a drain and fill on my own, using the Castrol IMV ATF.

I have read the procedure on HMASERVICE and just want to make sure I am ready.

Looking at the radiator, on the driver's side, there is a top and bottom metal hose connected to rubber hoses, which in turn connect to metal hoses on the transmission itself. The procedure states that you should remove one of these and start the car for a minute or less to let the fluid drain.

1. From the other threads, I believe it is the one that exits the bottom of the radiator that I need to disconnect. Is that correct?

2. With this line, does the fluid flow from the transmission to the cooler or from the cooler to the transmission?

3. Should I expect to see some fluid from both disconected sides? (Asking only to avoid making a mess.)

4. Is it best to remove the air intake and battery to provide for easier access to the cooling lines?

Thanks.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Hey, I have done the transmission drain and fill on my 2010 sonata SE V6 3.3er
I DO NOT. reccomend you mess with anything to do with the radiator or cooling lines or mess with your battery or intake.

I went overboard trying to do a simply PSF flush and tried disconnecting lines and FUBAR. simple is best with these types of drains and fills.

If all you are trying to do is drain and fill the transmission, Please follow these instructions. http://www.amdmaddness.com/sonata/tsb/trannydrainfill.pdf

from what I read flushing a transmission can break loose built up residue or gunk and can cause blockages. so a regular drain and fill at the proper maintenance intervals will suffice.

I hope this helps I have done the procedure twice now with no issues.

NOT SURE ABOUT THE 2.4L BUT THIS IS WORTH A READ.**************************************

·
Registered
407 Posts
I have done several cooler lines flushing on my two Sonatas. It was an easy job.
Remove the bottom cooler lines but plug the other open line. Use a long clear hose to check the color of the tranny fluids. Drain the fluid in a two liter container and fill up two liter of new fluids. Keep doing it till you drained about 8 to 10 liter.

After the "flush", reconnect tranny line run engine checking for fluid leaks.

Very easy job!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have done several cooler lines flushing on my two Sonatas. It was an easy job.
Remove the bottom cooler lines but plug the other open line. Use a long clear hose to check the color of the tranny fluids. Drain the fluid in a two liter container and fill up two liter of new fluids. Keep doing it till you drained about 8 to 10 liter.

After the "flush", reconnect tranny line run engine checking for fluid leaks.

Very easy job!
This is what I expected to do, but the HMASERVICE instructions state to open the cooler line before the drain plug and run the car for a minute or less until the flow stops. Then drain the pan and refill. It does not describe the method that you use.

With the HMASERVICE steps, it sounds like you are just trying to drain the cooler lines and the radiator, but are you actually pumping the transmission dry? Should I expect very little fluid in the pan after it stops flowing out the cooler line?

I personally like your procedure better as it keeps everything lubricated.

So confused... :(

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey, I have done the transmission drain and fill on my 2010 sonata SE V6 3.3er
I DO NOT. reccomend you mess with anything to do with the radiator or cooling lines or mess with your battery or intake.

I went overboard trying to do a simply PSF flush and tried disconnecting lines and FUBAR. simple is best with these types of drains and fills.

If all you are trying to do is drain and fill the transmission, Please follow these instructions. http://www.amdmaddness.com/sonata/tsb/trannydrainfill.pdf

from what I read flushing a transmission can break loose built up residue or gunk and can cause blockages. so a regular drain and fill at the proper maintenance intervals will suffice.

I hope this helps I have done the procedure twice now with no issues.

NOT SURE ABOUT THE 2.4L BUT THIS IS WORTH A READ.**************************************
I did see this one as well and am leaning toward this procedure and perhaps doing it twice waiting a few days in between. Should get a majority of the fluid out, without messing with any cooler lines.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Yes, My suggestion was basically don't do more than you have to.

I did see this one as well and am leaning toward this procedure and perhaps doing it twice waiting a few days in between. Should get a majority of the fluid out, without messing with any cooler lines.

·
Registered
407 Posts
This is what I expected to do, but the HMASERVICE instructions state to open the cooler line before the drain plug and run the car for a minute or less until the flow stops. Then drain the pan and refill. It does not describe the method that you use.

With the HMASERVICE steps, it sounds like you are just trying to drain the cooler lines and the radiator, but are you actually pumping the transmission dry? Should I expect very little fluid in the pan after it stops flowing out the cooler line?

I personally like your procedure better as it keeps everything lubricated.

So confused... :(
EASY...drain 1-2 liter via cooler line, then fill up 1-2 liter.
Tranny don't run dry..... I didn't talk about a drain plug.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
EASY...drain 1-2 liter via cooler line, then fill up 1-2 liter.
Tranny don't run dry..... I didn't talk about a drain plug.
With this process though, you don't get a chance to clean off the fillings that may have collected on the drain plug magnet, right?

That is one of the problems with the replacement process that the dealer performs as well. They never pull the plug and clean it off.

·
Registered
407 Posts
With this process though, you don't get a chance to clean off the fillings that may have collected on the drain plug magnet, right?

That is one of the problems with the replacement process that the dealer performs as well. They never pull the plug and clean it off.
Sorry...I forget to tell this: The very first step in the tranny flush process is,
1. Drain old tranny fluid.
2. Clean drain plug.........( mine was usually clean)
3. Fill tranny with new fluid to proper level.
4. Then remove bottom cooler line......

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sorry...I forget to tell this: The very first step in the tranny flush process is,
1. Drain old tranny fluid.
2. Clean drain plug.........( mine was usually clean)
3. Fill tranny with new fluid to proper level.
4. Then remove bottom cooler line......
That makes sense. Roughly how much fluid should I have on hand for the 2.4L?

·
Registered
407 Posts
I used Valvoline maxlife ATF. Three 5Q cans should be enough. I like to have a little bit extra when flushing my tranny.

9.5 liter.

·
Registered
32 Posts
None of these posts mention if vehicles have manual or automatic boxes. A simple drain and refill will not do the job on an automatic. If you plan to keep the vehicle till it's old and grey have proper transmission FLUSH done with Hyundai fluid.

·
Registered
407 Posts
First: both my Sonata 2.4l's have an automatic transmissions.
Secondly: my method is NOT a simple drain and fill procedure...

After draining about 2 liter out, stop the engine and refill the tranny with new fluid. Continue till 10 liter is drained.

·
Registered
1 Posts
hello
I have a 2006 Sonata 2.4, could you please tell which cooler line to disconnect to flush auto trany fluid. I see one at the top on the driver side of the radiator, if thants the one, which side i will be connecting the hose to drain into the pan ? is valvoline max life ok or should I stick with SPIII ?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts