Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. I searched this forum for torque specs and sequence for my son's 09 Accent. Timing belt broke, 2 valves bent. After replacing and prepping, I need the sequence and torque for the camshaft cap bolts and also the head bolts. I found info on 2008 engines but none for then 09.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Doing this all myself since my son is going to college and his funds are low to non-existing.

·
Registered
Drives : Nissan NV200 Flies : Rans S6ES
16,099 Posts
I'm pretty sure the MC Accent had the same engine throughout it's production run...assuming your in North America, so I don't imagine there will be any difference between an engine in an 08MY car and an 09.

·
Premium Member
875 Posts
Hi. I searched this forum for torque specs and sequence for my son's 09 Accent. Timing belt broke, 2 valves bent. After replacing and prepping, I need the sequence and torque for the camshaft cap bolts and also the head bolts. I found info on 2008 engines but none for then 09.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Doing this all myself since my son is going to college and his funds are low to non-existing.
Cylinder Head info attached.

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you so much for the information and quick responses. So greatly appreciated! From what I can tell, there isn't a sequence on the camshaft caps after all. As for the head sequence, tightening from center going out would probably be the way to do it. I saw it on several sites where that seems to be how to do it.

Really glad for the help here. I just bought the car for my son. 177000km on it. Oddly enough I've never had to change a timing belt on any of my cars - all had over 250000km on them. This sure gave me a scare so I'll be checking out the belts on three other cars over the holidays.

Btw, I removed the head, changed the two valves & replaced all the seals as well as lapped all the valves. Hopefully I can get it running on Monday.

Once again thank you.

·
Premium Member
2,199 Posts
Should never let belts go much beyond the maintenance window the manufacturer sets. Be glad you can do work like that yourself. Being disabled I'd rather spend a few hundred every 4-6 (depends on how much I want to push it and how the bank account looks) years than thousands if the belt lets go and the engine grenades. Getting stranded somewhere is a nightmare of mine.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I learn quick. I won't let this happen again that's for sure. And yes it does help being able to do it myself. It will still cost me a few hundred though. I had to buy the parts at my local parts store. I found much cheaper parts online but my son needs the car asap so I couldn't wait the extra days.

Live and learn. Thanks for all your kind help all.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts