Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my first thread on this forum. I bought a 2008 Veracruz last April with 28K on the clock. It was in perfect condition but has developed a rather severe rattle at start up. Its very loud, like it doesnt have any oil in it. It will quiet down in 5 seconds or less but it sounds really bad for a few seconds. Has anyone experienced this? Its going to the dealer next week but it would be nice if I had a heads up about it.
Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
17,554 Posts
Hashing sound on cold start that go away after 2-5 seconds very well could be timing chain rattle.. set of new tensioner take care of that.. getting dealer to replace them be another story.. Hyundai paid real good labor time to replace them initially, then decided to cut the time in half.. nobody has interest doing warranty work for 1/2 of labor pay.. then we have the new TSB where Hyundai want dealer to run around with it rather than to straight up replace them.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hashing sound on cold start that go away after 2-5 seconds very well could be timing chain rattle.. set of new tensioner take care of that.. getting dealer to replace them be another story.. Hyundai paid real good labor time to replace them initially, then decided to cut the time in half.. nobody has interest doing warranty work for 1/2 of labor pay.. then we have the new TSB where Hyundai want dealer to run around with it rather than to straight up replace them.
So, is this detremental to the engine and need to get taken care of right away? I wonder how much cash are we talken? Should this be covered under the warrantee?

·
Registered
17,554 Posts
10yr/100 to original owner.. 5yr/60 to second owner and later.

Customer pay time, figure $1550 as a ballpark start.. I would have to see what we have in price guide for tensioner repacement.

We had fella that kept hashing, finally the rails broke, chain jump a bunch of teeth, and trashed the engine.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
10yr/100 to original owner.. 5yr/60 to second owner and later.

Customer pay time, figure $1550 as a ballpark start.. I would have to see what we have in price guide for tensioner repacement.

We had fella that kept hashing, finally the rails broke, chain jump a bunch of teeth, and trashed the engine.
I had no idea it could cost that much!! It has 42000 on it now so I hope it will be covered.
Thank you for getting back to me.

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
sbr711 is the expert on these matters, but with such low mileage I've gotta wonder if it could be a simple case of a bad anti-drainback valve on the oil filter.

If it is indeed the tensioner, is there any other preventative stuff worth doing while in there? ie: water pump, valve cover gaskets, etc.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I was told at the dealer today that there is a TSB that states that after market oil filters could cause engine noise.
I had my oild changed the day before taking it to the dealer. the noise was better but was still there. I left it at the dealer last night so they could here what it sounds like first thing in the morning. This afternoon the dealer calls me and said they didnt hear anything unusual. So I went back to pick it up this evening (30 miles one way) and it made that terrible "out of oil" noise it usually does on cold start. I shut it down right away and went back to the service desk to get someone to listen to it. Wouldnt you know it, when the tech was standing there, it didnt make the noise!! I told them I would go ahead and take the car home and would record the noise for them.

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
I was told at the dealer today that there is a TSB that states that after market oil filters could cause engine noise.
The Lambda V6 needs an oil filter with a good anti-drainback valve, to keep the filter canister at the top of the engine full of oil even when parked. Otherwise the oil drains down and you have several seconds of starvation when starting the engine, making it sound like a blender full of bolts.

That said, the OEM filters are not perfect IMO. My Santa Fe would occasionally sound oil-starved at startup. And my Veracruz takes several seconds to shut off its oil light every morning... like you might expect after an oil change. (I did notice that the anti-drainback valve mechanism in the OEM filter I installed late last fall didn't seem to float as freely as it should... probably should have taken it back.)

Let us know if you ever get this noise situation pinned down.

Don

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'll post up when I get it figured out. I guess my first step should be to get an oem filter if for no other reason but to take it out of the equation.

·
Registered
10 Posts
The Lambda V6 needs an oil filter with a good anti-drainback valve, to keep the filter canister at the top of the engine full of oil even when parked. Otherwise the oil drains down and you have several seconds of starvation when starting the engine, making it sound like a blender full of bolts.

That said, the OEM filters are not perfect IMO. My Santa Fe would occasionally sound oil-starved at startup. And my Veracruz takes several seconds to shut off its oil light every morning... like you might expect after an oil change. (I did notice that the anti-drainback valve mechanism in the OEM filter I installed late last fall didn't seem to float as freely as it should... probably should have taken it back.)

Let us know if you ever get this noise situation pinned down.

Don
So happy I ran across this thread...

I just purchased a 2007 Veracruz with only 36,000 km (22.5k mi), and experience the same issue - lots of valve noise on start-up, disappearing after 5-10 seconds. Oil light stays on for 1-2 seconds also after start-up. Hopefully this is a slam-dunk issue, and finding a reliable brand of filter with a good anti drain-back valve will be my solution. Otherwise, I was going to dump in a 1/3 bottle of LucasOil and *hope* the start-up noise would be gone.

Thanks a bunch for your post, Don.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I would like to resurrect this thread. I read all the posts here and our 2007 Veracruz is doing the same thing. Oil light started coming on after oil change + engine noise. In addition, the car sometimes chugs or hesitates while driving. Its bothering my wife so much that she blames the shop that did the oil change. Are we still sure that its a bad oil filter? If so, that's an easy fix.

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
If they used a non-OEM filter I'd swap it out right away and see if that cures the startup issues. The intermittent chugging and hesitating is unlikely to be cured by a new oil filter, however.

·
Registered
4 Posts
This is my first thread on this forum. I bought a 2008 Veracruz last April with 28K on the clock. It was in perfect condition but has developed a rather severe rattle at start up. Its very loud, like it doesnt have any oil in it. It will quiet down in 5 seconds or less but it sounds really bad for a few seconds. Has anyone experienced this? Its going to the dealer next week but it would be nice if I had a heads up about it.
Any help would be appreciated.
Did you ever come up with a fix? Mine started that about 60k miles ago, no can give me an answer.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts