Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2008 Veracruz that has a parasitic battery drain of about 1.0 amp when the car is off and locked.
I just put in a brand new battery and the battery will drain if the car is parked for 3-4 days.
I tested the alternator using a multimeter and found it to be working properly.

I pulled fuses one at a time to identify the circuit causing the drain and found that the "memory fuse" consisting of "AUDIO1 and "ROOM LP" (both 15A fuses) to be responsible for the 1 amp of drain.

I tested those two fuses individually and found each fuse to be responsible for 0.5-0.6 amps of drain (with the car off and locked).

I then removed the head unit (containing the clock, cd player, radio, a/c controls) and unplugged it entirely.

I then tested the current draw on the battery (car off and locked) and still found 1 amp of draw. With the AUDIO1 fuse removed, I measured 0.8 amps and with the ROOM LP fuse removed I measured 0.38 amps. With both fuses removed, I measured 0.05 amps.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what could be causing the issue?

·
Registered
2007 Honda CRV
4,547 Posts
You seem to know what you're doing. Keep going.

Get a schematic. It may help to identify what else is on these circuits

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
UPDATE:

The source of the drain was within the head unit. Something along the lines of the radio never actually turning off even though the display would turn off. I bought a replacement off of ebay and that problem is gone. The thing that prevented me from fully diagnosing this issue on my own was that the hood latch (the mechanism to secure the hood closed) needed to be latched in order for all of the vehicles electrical systems to "go to sleep". Since I was testing the current draw from my battery with the hood latch open, small amounts of current were still being pulled (since the vehicle wasn't "asleep").

·
Registered
1 Posts
What I did to fix mine was to take my head unit up off unplug EVERYTHING on it unplug all the fuses one by one and put them back in. It seems to have fixed the drain. Now I still have the BCM issue :(

·
Registered
1 Posts
@kevin1991

I can't thank you enough for your note on testing with the hood closed. I have spent a week tearing apart my car and I think it was hood all along. Who would have thought? Thank you!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts