Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
have had the SUV for about 5 years and no problems except the brakes...pads and rotors were brand new ,but braking you really have to push petal hard.....panic stops are scary.....dealer where I purchased it bled all lines just to make sure no air.....i am thinking they probly put on the cheapest pads available, i wonder since its a SUV and does some towing would I be better off buy better quality pads....any imput

·
Registered
941 Posts
after 5 years with no brake service your dealer bled the lines? and didn't check the brakes?

he screwed you over big time. wasted your money on that.

of course your brakes are probably at the point of needing to be replaced. oem pads are good if you want to pay for them, aftermarket pads are the same / better and usually cheaper.

·
Registered
5,015 Posts
Is the booster working properly? You can test it by pumping the pedal a few times with the engine off and you will find a hard pedal. Keep your foot on the pedal and start the engine. The pedal should drop a little and now feel softer. If it's diesel there is also a vacuum pump driven by the cam which can also fail. Either way petrol or diesel check for vacuum getting to the booster with the engine running. Even cheap pads stop OK they just wear out faster.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
no dealer did this about a month after buying.......I was back in shop watching......rotors and pads were new and bled the lines to make sure,,,I just figured its about time for new better quality pads would help..checked booster and it works as it should....problem is when ya have a full car load of people or hauling a trailer its a little hard to stop....not unsafe....I just want a little more stopping power

·
Registered
2007 Honda CRV
4,597 Posts
Sounds like you have loaded the car and didn't expect to have to brake hard due to the load??
Performance or heavy duty brakes would help.
Drilled and slotted rotors and heavy duty calipers and pads would go far to reduce brake fad
And make it feel better

Of course, it does become pricey for much better brakes.
Have you considered going slower and hanging back further and braking earlier??

·
Registered
Drives : Nissan NV200 Flies : Rans S6ES
16,951 Posts
problem is when ya have a full car load of people or hauling a trailer its a little hard to stop....not unsafe....I just want a little more stopping power
Just a thought, but does the Tucson maybe have a load compensator valve on the rear brakes?

A lot of cars have a brake load compensator valve on the rear axle that pushes more fluid to the rear brakes when the vehicle is loaded. The valve is under the car exposed to the elements, road salt, etc and it's not uncommon for the valve seize in the unloaded position. Obviously, that causes poor brake efficiency if the car is carrying a load. It might be worth having a look to see if your car is fitted with one and check that it's moving freely.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sounds like you have loaded the car and didn't expect to have to brake hard due to the load??
Performance or heavy duty brakes would help.
Drilled and slotted rotors and heavy duty calipers and pads would go far to reduce brake fad
And make it feel better

Of course, it does become pricey for much better brakes.
Have you considered going slower and hanging back further and braking earlier??

well I am 65 and drive like it..never speed as I am in no rush to get anywhere..lol...sounds like performance pads may be just the ticket......just to give them a little more bite..thanks to all and will purchase a set within the next month and let ya know how i made out....great forum

·
Registered
5,015 Posts
Most so called performance brakes have little friction when cold so you might have a few scary moments till they heat up. Race pads are dangerous on the road because they don't usually get up to operating temperature. I doubt it would have a load sensing valve but it's worth a look.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Most so called performance brakes have little friction when cold so you might have a few scary moments till they heat up. Race pads are dangerous on the road because they don't usually get up to operating temperature. I doubt it would have a load sensing valve but it's worth a look.

well no load sensing valve.....maybe I will try a aftermarket brake pad designed for towing .....nappa said they are semi metalic? and have better braking power,but they will wear out a bit faster.......thanks to all for the imput

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Post back the outcome. It will be nice to know if it's successful.

well we pulled a couple wheels to check pads as sure to get right ones.....lots of pads left so as a test we sanded the pads and took the glazed off them....put them back on until I can afford to get new ones......Wow....big difference?..what did I do by just ruffing up the pads?.....poor break in as that would have been me or are they just cheat pads and will go like that again......Like I said,I am 65 and the idiot that drives in the slow lane and slow down before coming to a stop sign as never really in a rush to go anyway?

·
Registered
5,015 Posts
Deglazing the pads gives you a surface that will absorb vibration and yes it most likely will come back but wait and see. Brake squeal and graunch are 2 noises that can be difficult to eliminate. It gets down to compatibility between the pad material and the rotor material. I had a customer with a van and as he came almost to a stop the brakes made a really loud graunch noise. we tried many different brands of pads and the final fix was the cheapest pad we could buy so sometimes price is not the answer. Squeal and graunch have no effect on stopping it's just annoying. We have lots in common with age and driving style.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts