Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. Just bought a 2008 sonata gls today and it is doing this high pitched whistle at 65 + mph. It does get a little quieter if you go from fresh air to circulate air button but it is still very annoying. Another odd note is that it stops if you crack one of the front windows?? It doesn't matter if I'm in fourth or fit gear at 65 it is still there. Any advice?

·
Banned
4,119 Posts
Obviously -- to me at least -- your problem is AIR entering and traveling thru the cabin, nothing to do with your engine or transmission, which is good news, of course.... Maybe there's some air leaking thru a narrow path, maybe the cabin air filter is filthy, maybe maybe, you need to do some checking, and you might never find it, either....

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I hope you're correct. I did a detailed inspection of the passenger side of the vehicle and noticed there was a slight disconnect of the passenger side side view mirror and there was a spot on the windshield where the rubber seal looked to have come loose so I hope it is one of those. I read on another forum that some guy had a similar sounding issue and after two years they ended up replacing his transmission! Anyone else have this issue?

·
Banned
7,070 Posts
Transmissions can go. Where did you read this? That is why we have a 60K New Car Warranty! 100,000K Transmission Coverage for New Owners. I too have loud wind noise, and even had a Bird Chirp noise. That flew away and now it is a louder wind gushing noise.

·
Banned
4,119 Posts
I read your post again and it's more than obvious that it has nothing to do with your car's mechanics.... There must be some air traveling and making the noise... Yes, after posting my first post I was thinking about a damaged door seal, or maybe the window doesn't shut properly.... But at least you can trust your car to be working properly.

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
QUOTE (Ronrue @ May 25 2010, 11:04 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=326393
I hope you're correct. I did a detailed inspection of the passenger side of the vehicle and noticed there was a slight disconnect of the passenger side side view mirror and there was a spot on the windshield where the rubber seal looked to have come loose so I hope it is one of those. I read on another forum that some guy had a similar sounding issue and after two years they ended up replacing his transmission! Anyone else have this issue?
Hey Ronrue, and :00000732: Hope you enjoy the forum!

Not to worry about your transmission. If the sound changes when you roll down a window,
it's definitely just an air leak. Has the car been wrecked? Even a fender bender can cause
misalignment of door and window seals. Have someone drive the car while you listen here
and there, and you will probably isolate the source of the noise.

Assuming you have <60K miles, take it to the dealer. They have ways of isolating the noise
and will probably fix it free of charge.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everyone for the advice! I am calling the repair center today and will let you know how it turns out!!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts