Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey, new poster here. Got my wife a Boss BV9567BI double din head unit. The unit seems nice, but it is oversized (not specified by the manufacturer), but after dremeling the bezel, looks like I can fit it in.

The problem is the wiring. It looks like I have the proper wires and I alligator clipped them to test, but the until isn't receiving any power. The Metra dash kit doesn't seem to have the right wire labels, so I used

2008 Hyundai Sonata Car Radio Stereo Wiring Diagram

which seemed right as the power and ground wires I am connecting to are a heavier gauge.

Will the car supply enough power to run this unit? I really don't want to send it back if I don't have to. Am I missing something on the wiring? Any assistance would be appreciated.

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
Almost certainly, yes. There are two kinds of radios fitted to Hyundais: 1 disk, where the amp lives in the radio and 6 disk, where the amp lives in the trunk. Which do you have? I think there's a piece you're missing. You need a wiring adapter that plugs into your factory wiring harness; it has wires that you join to your Boss. It's mostly a matter of matching yellow to yellow, red to red, and so on. There's only one or two wires you need to connect directly to your factory harness. As there are two kinds of radios, there are two kinds of adapters. Let us know which you have (1 or 6 disk) and we can tell you more.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Almost certainly, yes. There are two kinds of radios fitted to Hyundais: 1 disk, where the amp lives in the radio and 6 disk, where the amp lives in the trunk. Which do you have? I think there's a piece you're missing. You need a wiring adapter that plugs into your factory wiring harness; it has wires that you join to your Boss. It's mostly a matter of matching yellow to yellow, red to red, and so on. There's only one or two wires you need to connect directly to your factory harness. As there are two kinds of radios, there are two kinds of adapters. Let us know which you have (1 or 6 disk) and we can tell you more.
Thanks for the reply. I have the 6 disk, which would mean the amp lives in the trunk? The wiring harness came with the BOSS system, and I have to solder the wires together (which isn't a problem since I have access to all of this stuff). The wiring adapter that came with the head unit has all it's wires labeled nicely, and I figured if I just matched up the permanent power, the switched power and the ground, I could at least get power to the unit and make sure those wires were kosher. Then I'd solder them and match up the speakers and whatnot.

Thanks again

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
OK! Does your factory harness adapter have a hump in the speaker wires? It looks a little like a snake swallowed a plastic mouse. That's the line level adapter that matches your radio's speaker-level outputs to your amp in the trunk's line-level inputs. If not you've got the wrong adapter. You're right; it's pretty much a case of splicing like with like-colored wires. If you have the red, yellow and black wires spliced and your radio doesn't turn on, the radio's bad. There's a fuse at the back of the radio. You won't hear anything, of course, but you should see lights.

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
Your wire harness should look something like this. The black box I think is meant for the powered amp. The blue line powers it up.

Quite a few people have made this mistake so don't feel bad.

If you amazon search the harness almost 80% of reviews complain that the harness does not work...actually, they just got the wrong one for NFs with the powered amp.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Update:

I am returning the Boss headunit. Not only was it misrepresented, they called it a double din, but it was oversized and didn't fit the bezel, but the interface was garbage. You get what you pay for. So, I purchased an Alpine IVE-W535HD, open box for half price.

My main issue is that I stupidly (and I state that because I have never done car audio installation before) clipped the pinout from the harness in the car. So, I soldered right to the car wires. I guess that means that unless I find a replacement female connector, I have to cut and solder the new headunit wires to the car wires.

This link...

2008 Hyundai Sonata car radio stereo wiring diagram

Only gives partial information. Does anyone have the wiring for the audio controls for the steering wheel, the parking brake and the rest of the wires?

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
Well, I'll start again now that my bowser helpfully threw away my reply. *^%*^$(%#

How close did you cut off the plug? You may be able to splice it with your old guide and the attached diagram, which doesn't tell you the wire colors. You'll have to do some trial-and-error, but it could be worse. My Dad got a job at Ma Bell in the 1930s by splicing a new plug on a 50-pair (?) cable. So it could be worse.

BTW, I had to splice the plug back on my '89 Taurus after I did ... exactly what you did. So join the club.

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, I'll start again now that my bowser helpfully threw away my reply. *^%*^$(%#

How close did you cut off the plug? You may be able to splice it with your old guide and the attached diagram, which doesn't tell you the wire colors. You'll have to do some trial-and-error, but it could be worse. My Dad got a job at Ma Bell in the 1930s by splicing a new plug on a 50-pair (?) cable. So it could be worse.

BTW, I had to splice the plug back on my '89 Taurus after I did ... exactly what you did. So join the club.
I cut it pretty close (sheepish look). I could probably reattach, if I had to. Maybe. Thanks for the pinout labeling. What are the 4 wires on the other side that were connected to the back of the stock radio.

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
Sorry! I didn't scroll down far enough. The plug on the right is for your XM radio; I don't think you can use it with your new head unit.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
It might not be so bad since you can piece together what color wire is which. IIRC, if you disconnect the negative battery lead, you can remove one of the trim panels underneath the dash and pull the factory harness down to make it easier to solder the wires. It's fastened to the guts of the car pretty good so you'll have to do some snipping of zipties and such. A good pair of wire cutters helps.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Sorry! I didn't scroll down far enough. The plug on the right is for your XM radio; I don't think you can use it with your new head unit.
Thanks. You have been ridiculously helpful. I do have XM, and I bought the over priced 50 dollar adapter to work with my unit. I wonder if I could have some how made use of the wiring there already.

Where did you find these diagrams? hmaservice.com?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts