Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I now have 30k on my 2008 Sonata I-4 engine, dealer didn't say anything about plugs or when to change them. My
question is what is a good time to swap out plugs? It looks very easy compared to a GM V6 being very difficult.
also should I clean the throttle body ?
Thanks, Steven

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
QUOTE (stevenb @ Oct 13 2010, 03:13 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=363230
Hi all,
I now have 30k on my 2008 Sonata I-4 engine, dealer didn't say anything about plugs or when to change them.
Nippondenso Iridium, unscrew them if you want and apply some anti-seize to threads, then re-install, torque to 22ft-lb.
Kinda hate to find out at 100 that they seized in the head, some preventive goes a good ways sometimes

My question is what is a good time to swap out plugs?
Refer to owner manual for their recommended interval.. I have run a set of the NGK IRIDIUM well over 100,00o+, only changed them for white ash crusting on plugs, I needed stem seals yrs ago

also should I clean the throttle body ?
Recent TSB for codes, they state clean throttle body with brush and carb, they say to remove throttle body to clean..

Thanks, Steven

·
Registered
335 Posts
Per the official printed documentation that accompanies the 2008 Sonata with the 2.4L engine, you replace the spark plugs at 48,750 miles if either/both of these apply to your typical driving conditions:

* Extensive engine idling or low speed driving for long distances
* Towing a trailer, or using a camper, or roof rack

If neither of those apply to your typical driving conditions, change the spark plugs at 97,500 miles.

Personally I feel that the 48,750 mile recommendation for idling/towing is too lax; I recommend replacing at 48,743 miles (j/k).

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
On my 09 with the V6 it's at 96000 miles.
with the V6 it is too much trouble to change them,
to get to the plugs you have to take the plannum off
and disconnect all sorts of vacuum hoses and what not!
so I called the Dealer for a quote and they said about
$500.00! just to change the plugs!
that's why I will wait till 96000 miles, by then I will
probably trade it in for a new model. :grin:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts