Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just getting the big service done.

they have suggested I get the following done:
199 - transmission fluid flush
166 - fuel injection service
119 - power steering flush

Should I get these done at all? Or get them done, and just not through the dealer? I'm in Ottawa, Canada and need to let them know in an hour!!

Thoughts???

·
Registered
7,163 Posts
QUOTE (skanji @ Nov 5 2010, 10:12 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=369223
Just getting the big service done.

they have suggested I get the following done:
199 - transmission fluid flush
166 - fuel injection service
119 - power steering flush

Should I get these done at all? Or get them done, and just not through the dealer? I'm in Ottawa, Canada and need to let them know in an hour!!

Thoughts???
I just realized you're talking KM and not miles.

Unless your driving qualifies for the more frequent transmission service (here, that would be 30K miles, or 48K KM ), then the correct timing would be 60K miles (more like 100K KM). Since I don't know if you've been towing things or doing anything else that would qualify as "extreme duty" driving, I can't say if that recommendation is valid or not. If your driving is "normal", forget it.
Unless you're having performance problems, there's no reason to be dealing with injectors this soon.
Power steering flush? Ask him where he found that one in the Hyundai recommendations.

You're the victim of a typical dealer push to make a boat payment.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
RUN FOREST !!! ------------- RUN !!

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
QUOTE (canderson @ Nov 5 2010, 12:35 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=369232
I just realized you're talking KM and not miles.

Unless your driving qualifies for the more frequent transmission service (here, that would be 30K miles, or 48K KM ), then the correct timing would be 60K miles (more like 100K KM). Since I don't know if you've been towing things or doing anything else that would qualify as "extreme duty" driving, I can't say if that recommendation is valid or not. If your driving is "normal", forget it.
Unless you're having performance problems, there's no reason to be dealing with injectors this soon.
Power steering flush? Ask him where he found that one in the Hyundai recommendations.

You're the victim of a typical dealer push to make a boat payment.

yep, in KMs...driving COMPLETELY normal! no towing, except the wife ;)

will pass on this with the dealer - thanks guys...

·
Registered
7,163 Posts
QUOTE (skanji @ Nov 5 2010, 10:42 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=369238
yep, in KMs...driving COMPLETELY normal! no towing, except the wife ;)
YIKES! We won't tell her you said that. We'd like to hear from you again here...

will pass on this with the dealer - thanks guys...
When this happens (and it happens all too frequently), ask the dealer just what part of the normal Hyundai warranty service schedule he's reading that leads him to make his recommendations. Or what TSB makes him think you might have a problem.

His time (and your money) would be FAR better used assuring that your rear brakes are in good shape (see other threads here) and cleaned so that you don't ruin a pair of pads (and possibly a rotor) when they start to stick due to rust and crud. If you haven't had it done already before now, recommend he read TSB 10-BR-001 and perform that service for you.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
QUOTE (canderson @ Nov 5 2010, 12:52 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=369242
YIKES! We won't tell her you said that. We'd like to hear from you again here...

When this happens (and it happens all too frequently), ask the dealer just what part of the normal Hyundai warranty service schedule he's reading that leads him to make his recommendations. Or what TSB makes him think you might have a problem.

His time (and your money) would be FAR better used assuring that your rear brakes are in good shape (see other threads here) and cleaned so that you don't ruin a pair of pads (and possibly a rotor) when they start to stick due to rust and crud. If you haven't had it done already before now, recommend he read TSB 10-BR-001 and perform that service for you.
Just called to get the rear brakes checked - costs $79...cheers and thanks!!

·
Registered
7,163 Posts
QUOTE (skanji @ Nov 5 2010, 11:07 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=369247
Just called to get the rear brakes checked - costs $79...cheers and thanks!!
That's probably more than it should have cost unless they actually scrape 'em down and lube them (not just "check" them), but is a far better investment of your money. Make sure they execute the cleaning and lubrication portion of that TSB.

I finally found the old TSB with all of the gory pictures in it. Am attaching it here. Still 100% relevant.

Attachments

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
QUOTE (canderson @ Nov 5 2010, 01:13 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=369249
That's probably more than it should have cost unless they actually scrape 'em down and lube them (not just "check" them), but is a far better investment of your money. Make sure they execute the cleaning and lubrication portion of that TSB.

I finally found the old TSB with all of the gory pictures in it. Am attaching it here. Still 100% relevant.
Canderson, really appreciate the detail and speed you are getting back to me on - a sincere thank you.

When I asked them to do the rear brake check, they told me not to bother as I had it done back in January...pretty sure I did, but still weird that they said no to something the customer asked for.

May get it done at a more reputable garage...cheers!

·
Registered
7,163 Posts
QUOTE (skanji @ Nov 5 2010, 11:51 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=369260
Canderson, really appreciate the detail and speed you are getting back to me on - a sincere thank you.

When I asked them to do the rear brake check, they told me not to bother as I had it done back in January...pretty sure I did, but still weird that they said no to something the customer asked for.

May get it done at a more reputable garage...cheers!
Well - we have to give them minus points for the original list, but at least they were honest about this part. Again, this is typically something that only needs to be done once a year, once every other year in easier climates. Just don't let things build up there.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Grrrrr stuff like this going on really bugs me. I'd be willing to bet that the same dealer (stealer...call it what it is) would charge you for those services (plus a few minor things they noticed while "performing it") and in fact did none of it.
After a related experience at a different brand garage, I got in the habit of marking anything that was to be replaced. Got subsequent foil and filter changes free for a year after finding the same oil filter on the engine, post bill.

When you find a good dealer/garage you can trust, stick with them. (Now if I could only convince sbr to move north).

·
Registered
5,886 Posts
Skanji, PM me if you'd like the name of a Hyundai mechanic here in Ottawa. At my 48k he gave my tranny fluid a "pass" in writing (even though I tow) and he didn't even try to suggest all that other junk.

His only special recommendation was to clean and lube the rear brakes, which is a necessary evil here in the salt belt.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hi guys! Bumping up old tread...I am looking for the trustful Hyundai mechanic for Santa fe in Vancouver,BC area...any suggestions ?
Thanks a lot.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts