Hyundai Forums banner

2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T- cranking no start,no fuel pressure

3K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  thebrookehouse 
#1 ·
Sup folks, started this thread per recommendation. After sitting for about 2 years,before i could figure out a Steering Lock Malfunction after a bad battery. After get pass and clearing that SLM via Tech 2 and no more fault codes. I got no start just cranking. So began testing. CPS seemed to check out ok plus Tachometer is interactive as should be. Tested fuses and relays,which checked out. Tested and jumped/bypassed starter relay to confirm, still crank no start. Moved on to Fuel testing, and lo and behold absolutley no fuel pressure at the rail and no fuel prime sound. I find if i use my hand or mallet and whap the tank from underneath,i still dont hear it come one,but i do get 1 maybe 2 lil drops of fuel from the rail.In my mind a leak should cause NO fuel at rail or caus the pump not to try and prime. so next, After testing the wrong relay for weeks(silly me googled my fuel box diagram with no confirmation) ,i was later pointd to the correct one this week and tested relay and relay connector, relay passed , connector: got some readings which seemed to check out ok, they were :

If i remeber correctly i probed at 85 and 86 first Got
11.8v for about 1-2 seconds after turning key to ON,
then 10.6v cranking
7.5v with key on
0.00v with the key off

Testing of continuity of 87 & 30 when12v from battery applied to 85 &86 = Continuity :YES
12v at 87 & 30 with the key off
11.9v when the key is on
10.6v cranking

Relay passed all tests,when the relay is plugged it , i also can feel the relay click on and then off in 1-2 seconds after turning key.

i Then tried to jump the fuel pump by bypassing the relay and bridging 87 & 30 with some wire.When two contacts touch at same time, i get a little spark(vid link below) but no sound or life from the pump. Seeing the spark i know can happen but i first thought that maybe there was a bad ground or something,but figured based on the prior tests seemed logical,for what i know that is, someone may can confirm if anything redflags or stand out with my readings.

All in all,there are NO Saab Techs here in the island, would only be paying "bush mechanics" to come here and pretend like they know what they are doing,though the pump should be a generic process, not sure i can afford paying for that labor atm. SO i wanted to reassuringly ensure it was the pump before i tackle the removal on this pump where i wont be able to drop the tank working by myself and no lift tools/equipment. HAte to hack job my saab,but my options are limited and the need for results are imperative.

First video,u can disregard was me willingly embarrassing myself testing the wrong relay all that time,knowing it didnt seem right and the clicked sounded like an AC Clutch Activating(Actuating??**)

The part1 and part 2 vids are where i jumped the relay connector and got the lil spark, which could also indicate a nasty bad fuel pump

Let me have it folks, im a dry sponge ready to soak it all up.

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.