4,597 Posts
Yeah, you will need new rotors and probably brake pads
Also, need to check the calipers
The rotors could be stuck on or rust welded to the hub

Good luck to you

·
Registered
169 Posts
You might be looking at replacing the calipers :/ doesn't look like they've been doing much... possibly seized

you must be a resident in the rust belt :p HATE Florida's heat here, but I like that undercarriages last for ages

·
Registered
4 Posts
Wow those look awful, when I got my 08 I changed the brakes as the dealer said They were toast and when I got the new set mine were perfect,so when I got the Brembo kit I Couldn't return it.

They are so cheap it's nuts not to do the slotted and cross drilled with high heat dissipation all black, the only down side in a massive werring sound from breaking. The kit was 270.00

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes I am in the rust belt (northwest Wisconsin). The brakes and rotors will be installed next Friday. Hopefully the calipers will be okay.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Calipers are most of the time just fine.
Squeeze it all the way in. Then change brake fluid. That helps a lot.

But the most important part is to clean the sliders/pins. They have a great tendency to get stuck.
If you manage to get them out, clean, wipe old grease, apply a tiny bit of fresh one, and put together with new bushings.

I never had caliper stuck, but had many pins rusted and stuck.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Calipers are most of the time just fine.
Squeeze it all the way in. Then change brake fluid. That helps a lot.

But the most important part is to clean the sliders/pins. They have a great tendency to get stuck.
If you manage to get them out, clean, wipe old grease, apply a tiny bit of fresh one, and put together with new bushings.

I never had caliper stuck, but had many pins rusted and stuck.

Thanks. I am taking it to a mechanic who has worked on my car before. He recently installed the timing belt kit. I am going to mention the caliper maintenance.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I recently did my rear rotors, they were worse than yours, i would not have finished the job if i didnt have air tools, i went with raybestos all around

Sent from my LM-Q710(FGN) using Tapatalk

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I had the brakes and rotors installed today. The rear brake pad holders were rusty and did not operate freely. A couple of the front pad were worn, but the front rotors were still in pretty good shape. No work was needed on the calipers. I'm glad I had this done. Thanks to all who posted!

·
Registered
169 Posts
I had the brakes and rotors installed today. The rear brake pad holders were rusty and did not operate freely. A couple of the front pad were worn, but the front rotors were still in pretty good shape. No work was needed on the calipers. I'm glad I had this done. Thanks to all who posted!

Good deal, glad to hear!

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The brake pads and rotors seem to work quite well. I called Bosch at their 888 contact number and found out the pads I purchased are semi-metallic. The ad in amazon did not say they were ceramic nor did any of the packaging, I just assumed they were. Bummer. I wanted ceramic pads and it is my fault for not inquiring first.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts