Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My engine warning light came on solid at 46,000 miles. I was quoted silly prices to get it investigated. Went to drive to the garage and the light's gone off. Is that a surprise to anyone?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi grcauto. Thanks for that. Now the open door is sounding an audio alarm. Fixed that by turning off the fog/spot light switch which I must have turned on trying to find a socket for the "scart" socket for the diagnostics scanner I got for a tenner before the engine warning light ended its tantrum. Found the socket under the bonnet, but don't need it now.
Last car - Peugeot - the ABS light cost me dear in time and money and eventually nearly failed my MOT, but fortunately topping up the coolant sorted it! Dangerous thing, technology in the wrong hands, don't you think?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi charlescrown. Thanks for that. I ordered a "Memo Scanner" on ebay for a tenner as soon as I found the "scart socket" under the bonnet. (Had been advised that you might not find a socket pre 2009 when UK legislated on it.)

·
Registered
Drives : Nissan NV200 Flies : Rans S6ES
17,992 Posts
I ordered a "Memo Scanner" on ebay for a tenner as soon as I found the "scart socket" under the bonnet.
I doubt there will be a scart socket anywhere on the car. The OBD connector/DLC will be under the dashboard somewhere though, not under the bonnet.
Here in Europe it was 2001 when cars had to be OBD2 compliant. Petrol engined ones anyway.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It appears the same size as the "plug" and has the moulded lettering "DIAGNOSTICS" on the cover. Behind it is a bunch of colour coded wires. It's just inside and to the right side towards the battery.

·
Registered
Drives : Nissan NV200 Flies : Rans S6ES
17,992 Posts
Hyundai cars usually have a "DIAGNOSTICS" connector in the engine bay for the factory diagnostic tool. The connector for your generic OBD scan tool will be on the dashboard somewhere. It's not allowed to be anywhere else. It's location is part of the OBD2 specification.

·
Registered
5,322 Posts
Don't assume because it's got an OBD2 plug it's OBD2. Our local Ford and Holden used them on what we call OBD1.5 and a OBD2 scantool powers up but reads nothing. Yes if it's OBD2 it will be somewhere in close reach of the driver. Some manufacturers are good at hiding them under panels and others in plain view.
Off topic Holden is in the grave now. They shut down the assembly plant and started importing Opals rebadged Holden Commodore and it didn't go down with the loyal followers and now the latest news is the Holden Commodore is finished and they are concentrating on SUV's and smaller models from Europe. Yes trash in my books.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.