Hyundai Forums banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

Registered
They want 750 plus taxes to fix.!!!??
WHAT!
That's a ridiculous amount of money to replace an ignition switch. It's quite a simple job that shouldn't take a professional vehicle technician any more than an hour to complete. And I don't think an ignition switch is a very expensive part, even at main dealer prices. And an aftermarket one is only $14 at AutoZone.

I've never had to replace one on your particular model of car. But like I said, it's generally quite a simple job so if you know how to use a screwdriver you could probably do it yourself. Looking at the photo at the AutoZone link, it looks like the switch is only held on by a single screw. Disconnect the switch harness connector, undo that screw, and withdraw the old switch. Refit in reverse order. The only thing you need to check is that the new switch is in the off position (fully counter clockwise) before inserting it into the steering column.

And let's just hope the dealer's diagnosis is correct, because your own test seemed to show that the ignition switch was working properly...there was power on the orange wire at the back of the fusebox.

Registered
Discussion Starter #22
Yeah.. I thought it was ridiculous too. I think it is a because I have had some back and forth with them on my 2018 hyundai Elantra. They replaced the engine and now I have a vibration that they refuse to fix. 馃槖馃檮 I wish we had more honest mechanics around here. However, they are hard to find. I don't get much free time and I only know basic stuff like changing spark plugs and wires brakes tires and oil. Of course that was before all these coils and stuff.

Registered
Discussion Starter #23
Would you happen to know where I could get pictures of this mechanism for this car by any chance?

Registered
You do know you don't have to take your car to the Hyundai dealer for repairs...right? There are plenty of us independent vehicle repairers out there that would be grateful of your business. Support your local independent garage.

The ignition switch is the white plastic part. Compare these pics to the pic of the switch on AutoZone and you'll see what part needs to be removed.

Attachments

Registered
Discussion Starter #25
Is it possible they wanted to change the whole assembly? Looks like you can buy the white piece or the whole assembly. How do I know i only need to replace the white part?

Registered
The white part is the electrical part.
The rest of it is mechanical
And you can do it yourself if you have a little patience

I just don't understand.
There was power going into the fuse box but none going to the relevant fuses
So how did the ignition switch get diagnosed as bad???
Just wondering.

Registered
How do I know i only need to replace the white part?
The dealer diagnosed a faulty ignition switch, and the white part is the ignition switch. That's the part that sends power to the fusebox when you turn the key. The rest of it has nothing to do with the electrics.

Registered
I assume they have already charged you for diagnosing the fault? Or is the $750 maybe including the labour charge for the diagnosis. Regardless, I still don't see how they can justify charging you that much money.

Registered
Discussion Starter #30
No I haven't paid for the diagnosis but I am not paying over a 100 dollars if they try to charge me more we are going to have a problem. 馃え

Registered
Discussion Starter #32
Okay got the ignition switch in. Fixed the lights windows and wipers, but the blower isnt working still. 馃う鈥嶁檧锔

21 - 34 of 34 Posts