Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have a 2008 Elantra GLS with 63K miles. A/T was serviced by dealer at 51K. Car now occasionally downshifts from 4th to 3rd when driving between 60 and 70 mph. Happens only when trans is hot (after 2-3 hours on hiway). When it occurs, it searches for the right gear, going back and forth from 3rd to 4th for several minutes before returning to normal. One thing odd is if I shut the car off for 5 minutes after it occurs, it runs fine afterwards. Do I need an ECU update or do I have a A/T problem?

·
Banned
998 Posts
if you are the first owner you are covered by 10y/100k miles powertrain. see them about updates.

now, if it was serviced - how was the atf fluid? that's the point you begin with.
then you think of other stuff.

also, it is not that the car struggles to maintain the speed, right? such as you are going uphill.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
clarification

When the downshifting occurs, the car maintains speed but it goes between 4th and 3rd gears every 5 seconds for a couple of minutes. I usually either change my speed or stop the car.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
more info from original poster

To clarify, the downshifting and hunting for a gear occurs both when the engine is UNDER LOAD and NOT UNDER LOAD.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I may have sorted this out. I checked the A/T fluid and found it was significantly overfilled by the dealer, Universal Hyundai in Orlando FL, when they did the Pre-owned Certification prior to my purchase. I realize the overfill may be causing foaming on the highway and maybe causing the erratic shifts. I should have checked the fluid first, because the same idiot "mechanic" overfilled the crankcase by 3/4 of a quart, filling 5 instead of 4.2, and I had to get that drained by another dealer after I found that out. It makes you wonder how careful these technicians are or what training they actually receive. Anyway, I'm going to my local indie mechanic who will suck out the excess. The nearby Hyundai dealer in NC wanted $65 to do that, instead of doing it gratis or charging it back to Hyundai USA or the original dealer. To summarize, dealers suck.

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
There is a drain plug on bottom of pan.

Easy to dump and refill yourself using sp111 compatible fluid.

I think a dump will drain only about 3 quarts max , then carefully refill , keeping in mind cold refill mark on dipstick.

Having codes scanned is another option to see what's going on.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
I may have sorted this out.
Scan for offending DTC if any ? Reset adaptive learn after correcting the fluid level ?

I checked the A/T fluid and found it was significantly overfilled by the dealer,
Engine idle, ATF hot, shifter in "N" ?

Universal Hyundai in Orlando FL, when they did the Pre-owned Certification prior to my purchase. I realize the overfill may be causing foaming on the highway and maybe causing the erratic shifts.
Auto trans is more or less a "puppet".. only does what the controller (TCM) tell it to do, unless there is internal trans fault

Anyway, I'm going to my local indie mechanic who will suck out the excess. The nearby Hyundai dealer in NC wanted $65 to do that, instead of doing it gratis
They not required to work for free, they did not do the original work

or charging it back to Hyundai USA
Dont think that going to happen, Hyundai USA not in habit of paying for another dealer mistake I dont believe.. Did your dealer call Hyundai and see how they wanted to handle the situation ?

or the original dealer.
Did your dealer take initiative to call offending dealer and explain the situation, and see if they would authorize repair and re-imburse your dealer for labor charges ?? You cannot just have work done and send a bill, they be like what this, we not authorize outside labor.. Hyundai dealers are independent stores, only play by Hyundai rules for certain things

To summarize, dealers suck.
Your dealer should pick up phone and contact offending dealer to see if they wish to cover their mistake being repaired at your home store.. Orlando is what, 5-6hr away from Outer Banks ??

·
Banned
998 Posts
I may have sorted this out. I checked the A/T fluid and found it was significantly overfilled
just like I was saying from the beginning... simple things first.

the same idiot "mechanic" overfilled the crankcase by 3/4 of a quart, filling 5 instead of 4.2,
there is more of them. They did exactly same thing to my Elantra. They poured all 5 quarts of oil from the bottle (I brought mine own oil). When I ask for the excess of oil I was told that everything went inside. When I said - it not supposed to, that is way too much - I received the look "moron look" like I had no clue and how I dare to correct them. Finally, the service adviser agreed that it was too much when I showed him in the manual how much oil goes in there plus I checked oil level (I think 3 times) to show how much was over the max level.

Anyway, make sure you check the ATF when engine is running (like sbr711 said). I would add - on hot engine start it, shift through all gears and park in N (flat surface of course). Then check ATF - at least two times. I like doing it on cold, just after I start the car, as it is easier to see ATF when it is more viscous.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
update by original poster

Went to my local indie shop today and the owner pumped out approximately TWO QUARTS of ATF to get the level right. It's an outrage that some numbskull at Universal Hyundai would be so clueless as to overfill it by 30%. An educated guess is that the transmission with a 7 quart capacity was drained and 7 quarts was added, even though 2 quarts probably remained in there after the drain. It's no wonder that DIY is so popular.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
OP update

I wrote a complaint letter to Universal Hyundai, Orlando. Three weeks went by with no reply, which is lousy customer service. After several emails from me, the stealer's idea of making me whole was to refund me $33 to cover the cost of sucking out the excess fluid. So I can't say anything positive about the service department or the customer service at Universal Hyundai.

I traded the 2008 on a 2011 Elantra Touring to get a little more utility and sportiness. And guess what? Crankcase was overfilled by 1/3 of a quart by the dealer in Virginia Beach. Overfilling or carelessness must be common these days.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts