Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi, my Accent has had some problems starting for the past couple weeks. When starting it, it will sometimes "clunk" or hop? I included a video to explain:

This "clunk" increases in intensity until a final day when it "clunks" and does not continue cranking. When I attempt to start it now it doesn't crank at all. There is a low hum when i'm attempting to start.

When I brought it to the mechanic they bench tested my starter and said it was fine and the car starter again. The second time, they rebuilt my starter, the car lasted about a week before it died again.

I attempted to jump it with no luck.

·
Registered
Drives : Nissan NV200 Flies : Rans S6ES
16,096 Posts
If it's not starting with a jump, that suggests you have a high resistance somewhere in the starter main power supply or ground circuits.

What you could try to do is rather than attach the negative jump lead to your battery, attach it directly to a clean metal part of the engine somewhere and see if that helps. If the engine now cranks you know the high resistance is on the starter motor ground circuit. By connecting the jump lead directly to the engine, you're shorting out/bypassing the resistance.

·
Registered
Drives : Nissan NV200 Flies : Rans S6ES
16,096 Posts
If the jump doesn't work, maybe make a new video so we can hear/see what it's doing now.

·
Registered
2007 Honda CRV
4,601 Posts
Could be the lever in the starter which engages the bendix gear with the fly wheel??
That clunk you heard could be it breaking
Then the hum is the motor spinning but it won't engage cause the lever is broken

Hyundai in their wisdom to save a few pennies ..
decided to use a plastic lever in the starter motor

Of course, this is a big guess .... lol

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Could be the lever in the starter which engages the bendix gear with the fly wheel??
That clunk you heard could be it breaking
Then the hum is the motor spinning but it won't engage cause the lever is broken

Hyundai in their wisdom to save a few pennies ..
decided to use a plastic lever in the starter motor

Of course, this is a big guess .... lol
Possible, I did have the starter rebuilt but maybe they don't check that? Only clean the brushes and stuff. I'm very new and uninformed on this stuf.

·
Registered
2007 Honda CRV
4,601 Posts
Possible, I did have the starter rebuilt but maybe they don't check that? Only clean the brushes and stuff. I'm very new and uninformed on this stuf.
I am also new
But very willing to learn from those who want to share

I did say this was all a big guess???

·
Registered
18 Posts
sounds like a dead / weak battery to me - its turning over too slow. sometimes there's a bit of corrosion under the nut at the main starter connection - sometimes you can tighten it a little more . But my guess is a battery

·
Registered
2007 Honda CRV
4,601 Posts
Okay, lets start with a jump start (remember to watch polarity)
If that works then battery or high resistance in circuit is supect
Take multi-meter and check voltage at battery
If okay then probably high resistance
Clean all terminals and grounding points

Good luck

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi, sorry for such a late reply but it has magically started working and then just recently lost it all again, no clunk this time just won't start, no crank no start. It starts with a jump which confuses me. we hooked up a bolt reader to the battery and it says the batter is working good. After the initial jump it starts no problem, no jump needed.

Does this make any sense? I have new starter and clean brand new grounds.

·
Registered
2007 Honda CRV
4,601 Posts
I would suspect the high resistance is in the system somewhere
Clean up the battery terminals
Clean grounding strap and the chassis
Clean engine grounding strap
Check or replace the cable from battery to starter clean as necessary
Check wire going from ignition to starter solenoid clean as necessary

Had something similar happen to me during last summer
Some intermittent no crank, no start.
I ended up cleaning all terminals and replacing the ignition switch (not lock cylinder)
Haven't had a problem since.

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
Hi, sorry for such a late reply but it has magically started working and then just recently lost it all again, no clunk this time just won't start, no crank no start. It starts with a jump which confuses me. we hooked up a bolt reader to the battery and it says the batter is working good. After the initial jump it starts no problem, no jump needed.

Does this make any sense? I have new starter and clean brand new grounds.
Need to put a stress on the battery like a carbon pile or electronic tester like the ones that test batteries in the shop. Low amps will cause a no start. Do a voltage drop at the starter to make sure you do not have resistance in the wires of both positive and negative side. An easy way to test to bypass the wiring is to hook a power probe to the battery. if it cranks strong but does not with the key its in the wiring. I have a video of testing the starter and replacing. Click on my signature and you will see it. Good luck

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
We checked it out on the hoist and found the wire connection to the starter solenoid was loose, cleaned it, greased it, and tightened it back on. We also charged up the batter. drove the car all weekend and have had no problems starting.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts