Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am driving 08 accent gs auto.
I only drive 10 Miles a day Mon-Fri.

Do I have to change oil every three month?
or wait until reach 3000 Miles?

Please help!!!

·
Registered
128 Posts
I'm sorta in the same boat & need to change the oil very soon for the 1st time. My manual says every 7500 with regular oil 5 something. 7500 seems a little long for regular oil though. I was thinking of going synthetic and changing every 7500 or twice a year depending on how much I drive. I just feel it's worse for regular oil to sit, but I could be wrong. Or maybe stick with regular oil and do 3x or 4x year oil changes, that might not be less $$ than the synthetic route with the 2x year changes.
I think also depends on if you change it yourself, the difference between regular and synthetic for diy is much smaller than at a shop.

·
Registered
538 Posts
10 miles a day, if highway miles is perfect, run to the maximum distance in your manual. If it's 10 miles a day in city stop start that would be classed as 'severe service' again refer to the manual for correct distances. My wifes does many city miles, I use dino oil, and change it and the filter ever 5,000 klm (3,000 miles).

350 Posts
10 miles a day in the city is not severe service. Not even close. If it's a patrol car or a taxicab that runs all day every day, or if you take it to a race track every week, then you're into severe service.

7500 miles on modern SN rated conventional oil is fine. No need for synthetic. Nothing wrong with synthetic, but if you want to do it right you should extend your intervals to 15,000 or more- that's how it really saves you money.

It's your money and your car- but what's the point of buying a cheap car if you're going to throw extra dollars into over-maintaining it?

If the book says 7500, run it for 7500. By far, the most important thing is to pull the dipstick and check the level a few times between changes.

·
Premium Member
2,208 Posts
And do remember the book says whichever comes FIRST miles or time. It's an inexpensive car that's expensive to fix or replace. You take care of it and it'll take care of you.

·
Registered
538 Posts
And don't call me Shirley, you sir haven't driven in my little city :D. With only about 1.3 Million people and a CBD of about 2 miles X 2 Miles, (although the burbs do stretch over 60 miles North/South by about 10 miles East / West) we have traffic lights on every CBD block, all non synchronised, and yes at 2am with no one on the road you may still catch 9 reds in a row. :mad: Combined with our high summer temperatures, A/C flat out, continual stop start, average fuel quality, and dusty air I'd put that in severe use. I think it depends on local conditions, a small town sure 10 miles is not much, but a large city where those 10 miles could represent 1 1/2 Hours of idling with A/C on, different story. As you say, they're a cheap car, easy to maintain, expensive to fix. I'd err on the side of caution. Cheers.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts