Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a 2007 Hyundai Sonata 2.4L automatic off of craigslist in New Jersey. It drove great while I was test driving. However, within 100 miles the check engine light came on. I had it towed to my mechanic who, after some research, found out the engine had been swapped out for a 2009 2.4L engine. Of course, this was not disclosed to me during the sale. It would be nearly impossible to pick up on this. It was a poor decision for me to buy, but it ran great for the first 100 miles. He was extremely deceitful.

The 2009 engine has Variable Vale Timing (VVT) on both the intake and exhaust for the oil control valves. However, the 2007 computer only controls the intake coil control valve.

The 2009 and 2007 cylinder heads are slightly different so changing them out won't work. Of course, I am trying to chase this guy down but I am skeptical that will work. I am posting here to see if anyone can help with two things:

(1) how do these valves actually work? In other words, what is the sequence? Can I just wire these valves in series? (i know ... dumb question, but it is worth asking)
(2) Is there any way to solve this besides replacing the engine? It is a good engine ... it's just the wrong one!

Thanks to all for your help!

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
1- MIL illuminated.. what was the DTC ?

CVVT - PCM command OCV to change valve position to route oil into cam phaser to either advance/retard cam.. and PCM monitor cam position time to see if desried angle and target angles match..

Later Dual CVVT - PCM command advance/retard on each cam to meet different requirements, you cannot simply wire it all together, things be way out of whack

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
sbr711,

The check engine light came on after I drove it for 50 miles for codes P0011 and P0016. The previous owner swears that it ran fine for him since he had the engine replaced 6 months ago. Now, it won't run.

Based on your comments, it sounds like my question #1 from my original post is "No." But how about question #2 from my original post: Is there any way to solve this besides replacing the engine? It is a good engine ... it's just the wrong one!

Thanks again for your support here!!!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Helpful Video

I found this video helpful in explaining the valve timing.

But I don;t know what to do still.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
I always thought CVVT was more mechanic than electric. Looks like a mix of both. Wondering if the guy swapped the ecu as well.

Could it be the OCV?

·
Registered
467 Posts
The check engine light came on after I drove it for 50 miles for codes P0011 and P0016. The previous owner swears that it ran fine for him since he had the engine replaced 6 months ago. Now, it won't run.
Wait, is only the check engine light on? Or, is the car now not able to run/drive?

If it's just the check engine light, then you might try replacing the OCV.

There is at least one other person who posted here about this, but he didn't follow up to offer much.
http://www.hyundai-forums.com/181-nf-2006-2010-sonata/153280-can-i-put-2009-2-4-2008-a-2.html

I wonder if you could swap an exhaust cam from the earlier engine into the head of the 2009 engine? I have no idea if there are enough differences to make this a problem.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Stephen9666 - The car will not start. It starts to turnover, but my mechanic says it does a safe shutdown because of the code. Thanks for sending that thread on people who have installed a 2009 2.4L Sonata engine in the 2007 before!! It gives me some confident that this can be fixed without swapping engines.

Before the car wouldn't start, it did have rough starts, and it stalled on me once when the engine was cold, both of which are apparently symptoms of bad OCV's.

I think I will replace the OCV, but I am not confident that will work. A question I have is what does the exhaust OCV do since it is now not wired up? Does it just fail open? Or closed? I would think I want it to fail open. Is there any way to confirm?

What are common causes for the P0016 code (Crankshaft Position - Camshaft Position Correlation)?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just following up: I replaced the intake oil control valve (OCV) today. The check engine light error codes P0011 and P0016 are gone, it started right up smoothly, and no more slightly rough idle, stalling, or slightly rough ride around 30-50mph. I drove it 4 times for about 50 miles and it's working great. If something bad happens, I will let you know. Otherwise, if I am silent, assume it went good. Thanks for all your help!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just following up: I replaced the intake oil control valve (OCV) today. The check engine light error codes P0011 and P0016 are gone, it started right up smoothly, and no more slightly rough idle, stalling, or slightly rough ride around 30-50mph. I drove it 4 times for about 50 miles and it's working great. If something bad happens, I will let you know. Otherwise, if I am silent, assume it went good. Thanks for all your help!
If I understand correctly, the intake oil control valve was the only modification. I can't find much on what I need to do to make the 2010 engine work in my 2006 Sonata. I found some related materials saying to keep the original wiring but I'm not sure I can match these up.

Can anyone give me more details?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just did this for a customer.
Car is 2.4 2006 Sonata with 140k bad bottom end. Ordered 2009 2.4 Sonata engine with 63k on it.

From the 2009 retained valve cover minus the plastic studs on the front to use the 2006 engine cover and used the bracket from the 2006 valve cover in the back so the engine cover would fit.

Used the 2006 coils which fit perfect in the 2009 valve cover and the coil harness bolted right in.

Used 2006 intake and exhaust manifolds and thermostat housing.

Ordered new intake gasket for 2006 sonata.

Had to move 3 studs on the new engine on the exhaust manifold side. Used the 2009 exhaust manifold gasket.

Used the complete 2006 engine harness.

Left extra sensors on the fire wall side unplugged.

Used the 2009 ocv valve and used old cam position sensor.

So far so good car just left the shop on a test drive runs so quiet cant even tell its running.

·
Registered
887 Posts
It will NOT work. Totally different ENGINE, TRANSMISSION, wiring, computers EVERYTHING. You could not even begin to hack job the wiring to even make it remotely work, let alone run.

·
Registered
4 Posts
does anyo know why 2006 sonata 2.4 would all the sudden have tons of metal fragments in the oil pan at only 140000 miles with good maintenance

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
DOES ANYONE know if a 2011 2.4 will work in a 2006 sonata 2.4
2011 = GDI fuel injection..different fuel supply from tank to GDI, 55 volt injectors, PCM, 6 speeder trans, dual CVVT, A/C is variable displacement

2006 = port fuel inject, 12 volt injectors, 4 speed trans, CVVT on intake

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
GDI injectorsdo not inject fuel in the air stream.. injector is mounted below intake port via hole bored into combustion chamber and fuel is sprayed onto top of piston at a 500-1400 PSI working pressure..

2006 port fuel inject has injector spray fuel into air stream above intake valve and all drawn into cylinder during intake stroke while valve open

There is no "swapping intake to make it work"

·
Registered
5 Posts
It will NOT work. Totally different ENGINE, TRANSMISSION, wiring, computers EVERYTHING. You could not even begin to hack job the wiring to even make it remotely work, let alone run.
Would a 2008 sonata motor fit into a 2009 sonata I need to know ASAP please

·
Registered
682 Posts
In don't know if the 2008 has dual cvvt, but other than that should work.
Edit:
it does look like it has dual cvvt like the 2009

1 - 20 of 22 Posts