Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello, I have a few questions I'm hoping someone can help answer. I will ask my questions first with a detailed description to follow:

1. Does the ETACS & Receiver assy module have anything to do with the tail lights, parking lights, and dash lights?
2. Can a bad tail light relay eventually fry the ETACS module?
3. Can an uninstalled ETACS module be tested?
4. Is it common practice for auto service facilities to jack up the cost of parts charged to customers to make a profit? Is that legal in the United States?

I took my 2007 Tucson into a long established automobile service center for this problem twice. The first time I paid $85 for "Level 1 diagnostic testing". They told me it was working fine for them ( of course), as it was an intermittent problem. I told them that was hard for me to believe because it was happening for me all the time and that I've been pulling two fuses (R & L Tail Lights) to prevent my battery from going dead. The shop manager said, "If it continues, bring it back and we'll re-test it at no charge." Some weeks had passed and I made arrangements to leave the car with them as I was flying across the country and would be gone for a week not needing my car. They called me and told me it was the ETACS module needed to be replaced but couldn't get the part till the end of the week due to the holiday shipping backlog with UPS. The estimate = $1019.30. I regretfully authorized the work as I was sick and tired of having to pull and replace fuses all the time not wanting to have to do that through the cold winter months. Several days later they called back and said that they would also have to replace the interior Fuse Block at a cost of an additional $800. He said that the lights go off but you have to click the switch a couple times. I said, "so it's acting like it did when the problem first started?" I said, "are you sure you needed to replace that other thing?" He said "yes, we tested it and it's bad. He also said, " I think that because the relay built into the fuse box was bad for so long it eventually fried the ETACS module". I immediately thought they had probably made a huge mistake and replaced the wrong part and they probably only needed to replace the fuse box with the bad relay. I DID NOT authorize any additional work. I came back to town, picked up my car and paid them $1019.30 and still have the problem with the lights. I really don't know what to do because I don't know anything about car electronics. Is it possible to "fry" an ETACS module because of a bad relay? I did ask for the bad module before I left so I have that and it looks fine. No signs of being "fried" or anything. Is there anyway to test the uninstalled module? From what I've read, the ETACS module doesn't seem to have anything to do with the dash and tail lights. I feel like I've been ripped off big time and plan on following up with the shop manager but need to become educated first so I know what I'm talking about. I have been looking online for any information on the subject and came across this forum. I've also shopped online for the replacement parts to see how much they really are. They charged me $660.14 for a new ETACS & Receiver assy module. I found them on three different websites ranging from $309.24 - $409.82. His price for the replacement fuse block was $650.63. I called a local Hyundai dealer service department and he gave me a price of $105.00, but I don't know if he looked up the right part or not! Please, does anyone have any knowledge and/or advice as to what I should do now????

·
Registered
Drives : Nissan NV200 Flies : Rans S6ES
13,388 Posts
1. Does the ETACS & Receiver assy module have anything to do with the tail lights, parking lights, and dash lights?
Yes.

deedbaz said:
2. Can a bad tail light relay eventually fry the ETACS module?
Technically, yes. But it would only happen if the relay coil became short circuit, which is a fault I've never personally come across in the 30 years I've been working as an AUTOSPARK.

deedbaz said:
3. Can an uninstalled ETACS module be tested?
Not really. It would be easier to test it on the car.

deedbaz said:
4. Is it common practice for auto service facilities to jack up the cost of parts charged to customers to make a profit? Is that legal in the United States?
Yes and yes.

deedbaz said:
I really don't know what to do because I don't know anything about car electronics.
It sounds to me like the guys you gave over $1000 don't know anything about car electronics either.

deedbaz said:
Is it possible to "fry" an ETACS module because of a bad relay?
As I said, technically it's possible but relays don't usually suffer from shorted coils. I think that is highly unlikely.

deedbaz said:
From what I've read, the ETACS module doesn't seem to have anything to do with the dash and tail lights.
The tail light relay is controlled by the ETAC. It's used to automatically switch the tail lights off if you forget to do it manually.

deedbaz said:
I feel like I've been ripped off big time
That's completely understandable given you've paid over $1000 and are no further forward. It's a shame you didn't find the forum until after spending all that money. I'm sure I could have talked you through the process of diagnosing the fault yourself. My consultancy fee would have been much less than you've paid out and I'd probably have it fixed by now :D

1 - 4 of 4 Posts