Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Brand new here on this forum. By the number of posts, this forum looks active, so I hope there are a lot of smart people here who know the workings of Sonatas. I am very willing to help others here...........My question...........

I need to replace tires on 2007 Sonata. It currently has costly 225 X 50 X 17 size tires. I don't need a performance tire that rides kind of rough, and wears out rather quickly, and cost a bundle. Such wide tires don't do well in the snow either.

Can I substitute 215 X 60 X 17 or
215 X 55 X 17?.............or go with even a narrower and taller tire on a 17 " wheel??

What size tires will not rub the calipers, or rub the front front suspension?

Thanks for advise..........Rooster22

·
Registered
143 Posts
Check out discounttiredirect.com , select the Sonata and compare tires and tire sizes. It will give you alternate 17" tires (plus 0, 1) that will fit the car. Info also available as to what the plus size means. Although there are original size tires available at a good price.

Also, check out Miata.net and plug in your tire info for a quick analysis on different sizes.

A different tire size will not rub your caliper or suspension. If you radically change tire size, there might possibly be rubbing in the wheel well....along with a huge speedometer error. Changing your wheel size/type may cause issues if you do not get the proper wheel size (off-sets, etc.) for your Sonata.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Check out discounttiredirect.com , select the Sonata and compare tires and tire sizes. It will give you alternate 17" tires (plus 0, 1) that will fit the car. Info also available as to what the plus size means. Although there are original size tires available at a good price.

Also, check out Miata.net and plug in your tire info for a quick analysis on different sizes.

A different tire size will not rub your caliper or suspension. If you radically change tire size, there might possibly be rubbing in the wheel well....along with a huge speedometer error. Changing your wheel size/type may cause issues if you do not get the proper wheel size (off-sets, etc.) for your Sonata.

Thanks, a good call sending me to Discount Tire website. At the site, is a good chart advising tire sizes. I am looking to go with smaller tires, so don't expect any rubbing issues. Speedo may change 1 or 2 mph, but that is no big deal.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
I've found with the recommended tire size for my vehicle my speedometer reads ~2-3 MPH higher than the actual speed as evidenced by those road side speed control devices which measure and display your speed via radar.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I usually go by the speed reading from my GPS unit. Seems my car's speedometers are almost always off by 1-3 mph.

I've found with the recommended tire size for my vehicle my speedometer reads ~2-3 MPH higher than the actual speed as evidenced by those road side speed control devices which measure and display your speed via radar.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Yes, very typical of most cars.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts