Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I have installed new tires around 2K miles ago and TPMS is light on yesterday. What should I do? Why the TPMS light is on?
Is it safe to drive when this light is on?

Is it covered under factory warranty? I have 33K miles on my sonata. If it is not covered, how much it is going to cost me?

Any help is appreciated...

Thanks,
Venkata

·
Registered
587 Posts
Did you check the tire pressures? I think it is telling you that one or more of the tires has low pressure. If it is not that and it's a problem with the system itself you should still be covered under the 5 year/60,000 mile warranty.

·
Registered
988 Posts
Your sensors might need to be reprogramed when you get new tires put in the sensors need to be put back in the same order if not the TPMS light will come on if you have the little (!) light on that means that the air is low in the tires if the actual TPMS light is on then its probably the sensors weren’t put back in the right order.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Don't forget to make sure there's sufficient pressure in your spare tire.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Sorry! Accidental multiple post! Please don't hunt down my family one by one and slowly torture them to death! I promise I'll never do it again! ...At least not on purpose...

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
QUOTE (venkata @ Jul 4 2010, 11:13 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=338746
Hi,

I have installed new tires around 2K miles ago and TPMS is light on yesterday.
Ok, is it " TPMS " or the low tire indicator (yellow tire outline with ! inside)

What should I do?
Do what you need to do, TPMS --> some sort of electrical malfunction/sensor fault... (!) illuminated, correct the air in the tires.. read your owner manual, it is explained in there..

Why the TPMS light is on?
TPMS --> sensor or module/wiring malfunction

(!) --> tire pressure low/high, excessive pressure difference somewhere

Is it safe to drive when this light is on?
TPMS --> drive it till the cows come home

(!) --> correct the air in the tires, not good to drive on flat tire(s)

Is it covered under factory warranty?
Fault of material and workmanship, yes, broken sensor when remove/install new tires, no.

I have 33K miles on my sonata. If it is not covered, how much it is going to cost me?
Depends on what the actual problem/part found is, and its cost to repair or replace, you'll have diag/scan time, parts and labor..
Any help is appreciated...

Thanks,
Venkata

·
Registered
988 Posts
I have 3 extra sensors and the tpms moduel i took out of my car is if thats whats wrong with your car ill sell them real cheap if you need them

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks to all of you for your replies. I took my car to oil-change today and they reset the TPMS sensor and now it is off. They did not say any reason why it is ON.

My steering wheel is vibrating little bit when I go at 70-80 MPH in freeways, so they have asked me to re balance the tires as the tires are recently installed. I will have to take it to the tire shop tomorrow.

Thanks,
Venkata

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
QUOTE (venkata @ Jul 8 2010, 10:12 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=340036
Thanks to all of you for your replies. I took my car to oil-change today and they reset the TPMS sensor and now it is off. They did not say any reason why it is ON.

My steering wheel is vibrating little bit when I go at 70-80 MPH in freeways, so they have asked me to re balance the tires as the tires are recently installed. I will have to take it to the tire shop tomorrow.

Thanks,
Venkata

Who is they ?

70-80 MPH.... I be looking at RFV concern if the tires indeed balanced correctly..

·
Registered
1 Posts
The tpms light was on in my car so my mechanic checked the tire valves and noticed that one of the valves needed to be changed because he said that is why my light was going on, so after he did that the tpms light went off but now the light that shows you need air went on but all tires have the right amount of air

·
Registered
1 Posts
Tpms light on no brake or backup lights

I have had the check engine light on for a few months. Error code is cam shaft sensor. I had it replaced and a few days later it came on again. had it replaced again. Light came on again. This time they checked the cam shaft and its ok. They said that the computer needs to be flashed. that was 3 months ago. Light would come and go out sporadically . Yesterday the TPMS light came on and some one stopped me to tell me my brake lights are out. So are my backup lights. checked fuses, they are ok. Any ideas.

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
You didn't mention which year/model/engine size Sonata you drive. The brake light switch has been troublesome on Sonatas; it's an easy fix. As for the other problems ... I'm tempted to ask if your car was ever in a flood. It sounds like Electrical Gremlins.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
I have had the check engine light on for a few months. Error code is cam shaft sensor.
Not valid,, need to know exact DTC in Pxxxx format

I had it replaced and a few days later it came on again. had it replaced again. Light came on again. This time they checked the cam shaft and its ok.
Who is "they" ?

They said that the computer needs to be flashed. that was 3 months ago. Light would come and go out sporadically.
Here again, what was the DTC in Pxxxx format,, sound like you been to some side of road place using generic scanner, and those things is not providing proper Hyundai DTC definition..

Yesterday the TPMS light came on
Yellow lettered "TPMS",, or the low air warning ?

and some one stopped me to tell me my brake lights are out.
Multiple cause, 1, 2, or all 3 bulb inop.. lots of people never check their lighting, till somebody almost plow them in rear when they realize car in front is stopped and has no operative light bulbs.. another cause can be the stop light switch... got VIN ?? Stop light switch recall for 2nd time around for another style part.. got VIN ? I have to run it Monday at work, home PC wont get WEBDCS.. unless somebody tell me how to get "compatabilty view" on CHROME.. Stop light switch or open circuit bulb filament...

So are my backup lights. checked fuses, they are ok. Any ideas.
Open circuit at light bulb filament comes to mind, no filament circuit, no light..
DVOM is your friend.. check power and ground

1 - 14 of 14 Posts