Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, I am new to the forum. I have a 2007 Santa Fe and am having a problem..... when I start my car on a freezing cold (-28 degrees Cel. in Canada) it starts up no problem at all. I then drive it for 15 mins./pop into a store for 15 mins and when I come back out the car will not start. It cranks OK and all the proper ICONS light up on the dash but it will not start. I have to sit and try it over and over for about half an hour and then it magically starts again. Did anyone else have this problem and more importantly how did you fix it?

·
Registered
12,672 Posts
When you have the non start check to see that the immobilizer light is coming on. If the immobilizer light doesn't switch on along with the other ignition warning lights the PCM won't inject any fuel so you can crank it all day and the engine is never going to fire up.

·
Registered
17,554 Posts
Which engine in that 2007 Sanya Fe ?? 2.7mm or 3.3 ??

BTW,, neither of these have EGR or IAC

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
First thought is fuel pump.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
The immobilizer icon DOES come on and the mechanics have been unable to capture any codes (3 different scopes...3 different shops). Hyundai service says it is immobilizer but doesn't make sense as immobilizer light ALWAYS comes on both when it starts up properly and when it cranks only. Had fuel pump replaced last year and has been working fine ever since. Any thoughts on what else it can be? By the way it is a 3.3 litre motor.

·
Registered
12,672 Posts
For something that doesn't have an EGR, there is certainly lots of pics for it
Like most cars, the Santa Fe comes with several different engine options. Not all of them (actually, non except the diesels AFAIK) have EGR.

Any thoughts on what else it can be?
Possibly a crank sensor problem. Check to see if the coils are sparking and that the fuel pump is being switched on DURING CRANK when the engine fails to start. There is often a fuel pump check point on the engine bay fusebox for testing the power supply to the pump.

When I was a tech with Hyundai (15+ years ago) they issued a technical bulletin titled "paper shop syndrome" which dealt with the very symptoms your experiencing. The car would start fine, you drive to the local shop to buy the news paper and the engine wont restart when you come out. The advise in the bulletin was to replace the crank sensor.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you "Autospark" for this info. I have passed this info on to the mechanic that has the car now. How long does it take to replace the crank sensor and is it easy to replace or do you have to get into the motor to do it?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
RE: Possibly a crank sensor problem. Check to see if the coils are sparking and that the fuel pump is being switched on DURING CRANK when the engine fails to start. There is often a fuel pump check point on the engine bay fusebox for testing the power supply to the pump.

How exactly do I do this? (Sorry, I am not a mechanic) I would like to be able to tell my mechanic how to do this if he doesn't know what I'm talking about

·
Registered
12,672 Posts
I'd hate to think your mechanic doesn't know how to check for a spark :surprise:

But basically you remove one of the ignition coils (assuming your engine has COP ignition) and insert a spare spark plug, or a spark testing device into it. Leave the harness connector plugged into the coil and ground the spark plug threads to the engine block then crank the engine over. You should see a spark jump across the gap in the plug during crank.

To check that the fuel pump is being switched on you connect a voltmeter or test lamp to the F/PUMP CHK point on the engine bay fusebox. Make sure there is 9~10V on the check point during crank.

·
Registered
17,554 Posts

·
Registered
12,672 Posts
I will invite you to spend a week with me in an actual Hyundai service facility and let you have first hand visual and ask-answer while looking at car here in front of us..
Why would anyone want to spend time in a smelly, oily workshop when GOOGLE makes you an instant expert without even leaving your comfy chair in front of the computer.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks again Autospark for sharing your knowledge with me (all of us). Do you know approx. how long it takes to change the crank sensor and if you have to take part of motor apart to do it?

·
Registered
4,022 Posts
Like most cars, the Santa Fe comes with several different engine options. Not all of them (actually, non except the diesels AFAIK) have EGR.
Well, I don't know what engine is in it.
I took a guess.

The car would start fine, you drive to the local shop to buy the news paper and the engine wont restart when you come out. The advise in the bulletin was to replace the crank sensor.
Would you replace the crank sensor without doing the checks for spark and fuel?
(I know you said to check them)
It is one thing when done under warranty
And it quite another when done with the owner's money.

GOOGLE again..

I will invite you to spend a week with me in an actual Hyundai service facility and let you have first hand visual and ask-answer while looking at car here in front of us..
As you can see, I did the search twice.
Why spend a week with you?
Are you a young hot girl with the desire to have lots of sex??
Eh, better spending that time with my wife.

Note: I have been to an actual service facility (at the dealers).
And from what I can tell, the service manager knows less than I do.
I drove the car into the shop. The radio was dead and no head lights.
He told me that the ECM may need to be replaced.
I try not to go there anymore.

·
Registered
12,672 Posts
Do you know approx. how long it takes to change the crank sensor and if you have to take part of motor apart to do it?
I'll refer your question to @sbr711. I'm not familiar with your particular engine but I'm sure he will be.

Would you replace the crank sensor without doing the checks for spark and fuel?
As the OP has said, this fault is intermittent. If the car was presented in a non start condition then obviously the tech would check for fuel & spark. If the car is starting when it comes to the workshop there really wouldn't be any point to testing for fuel & spark.

·
Registered
4,022 Posts
I'll refer your question to @sbr711. I'm not familiar with your particular engine but I'm sure he will be.

As the OP has said, this fault is intermittent. If the car was presented in a non start condition then obviously the tech would check for fuel & spark. If the car is starting when it comes to the workshop there really wouldn't be any point to testing for fuel & spark.
As usual, you are very logical which is really beginning to bug me ... lol

·
Registered
17,554 Posts
Thanks again Autospark for sharing your knowledge with me (all of us). Do you know approx. how long it takes to change the crank sensor and if you have to take part of motor apart to do it?

Well,, you ask question about car that comes equipped with a choice of 2 different engine,, either of which you still have failed to tell us which engine is in your ride,, and you have not filled out all your profile to reflect which engine there in box below user name for all of us to see...

1 engine is a relatively easy replacement,, the other engine is a little bit more involved..

--------------------------------------------------
2007 santafe

2007 Santa Fe 2.7 or 3.3,,, FWD or AWD

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
2007 santafe is an unknown quantity at this point

·
Registered
17,554 Posts
Location Toronto, Canada
Engine 2007 Santa fe AWD (3.3 litre)

I will update my profile to suit
3.3L,,, that a somewhat easy part to replace,, do it cold though.. It located on the transmission bellhousing on top, kinda pointing toward front of car, maybe at 11 o'clock position,, have to remove a few piece to see it though.... I did trans in Azera 3.8 the other day,, and had to remove sensor from old unit prior to removal of trans, need really long 1/4 drive extension and short 10mm socket..

1 - 20 of 53 Posts