Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,
I needed some help with my 2007 Santa Fe. Recently my turn signal has not been working. It seems to act finicky and not want to work every time I need it too. I noticed that this happened once every blue moon in the winter time when I purchased the vehicle new back in '07. However it has been occurring more frequently as of the past 3 days.
I have checked the fuse and it is fine. My hazard signals work when my turn signal works if that is any additional indication of what might be going on.

Has anyone else encountered this and what can be done to remedy the situation?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Hi,

I had this problem also. I had made a movie of the problem on my phone to show the dealer as i had the vehicle in multiple times over 6 months for the signals not working with them unable to duplicate the problem. it was a very frustrating time getting this solved.

2007 SF 70,000 Km's at the time

I am attaching pics of the work order, as its a long read.

HW

Attachments

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I would look and see if there is a turn signal flasher to replace.
I thought the same thing at first.
However, I've already done that and could not find one in neither the fuse box in the passenger compartment nor the one under the hood.
Unless I suddenly went blind, I can't seem to locate it if there is one.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi,

I had this problem also. I had made a movie of the problem on my phone to show the dealer as i had the vehicle in multiple times over 6 months for the signals not working with them unable to duplicate the problem. it was a very frustrating time getting this solved.

2007 SF 70,000 Km's at the time

I am attaching pics of the work order, as its a long read.

HW
Thanks. That appears to have been a rather involved repair. I'm really hoping it is something simple like a fuse or relay switch, as I am out of warranty and don't feel like dropping extra cash for a turn signal fix by the dealership.

·
Registered
749 Posts
Where the front turn signal bulb goes into the socket, there is a copper/metal tang that contacts the side of the bulb. it's not making proper contact. You can clean the bulb and tang. also, bend the tang outward a little, to improve contact with the bulb.

however, this is only temporary. the socket itself needs replaced. unfortunately at last check its only available with the whole headlamp housing...

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks to those who have replied. I am still a bit confused as to what may be causing this. I know that this may be grasping at straws but I have noticed that this occurs mostly first thing in the morning and as the car warms up it seems to function properly. I know that the car's running temperature should have nothing to do with this electrical problem but one never knows with electrical.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Where the front turn signal bulb goes into the socket, there is a copper/metal tang that contacts the side of the bulb. it's not making proper contact. You can clean the bulb and tang. also, bend the tang outward a little, to improve contact with the bulb.

however, this is only temporary. the socket itself needs replaced. unfortunately at last check its only available with the whole headlamp housing...
jsvob03, your solution worked for me! My left turn signal was blinking fast, indicating a bulb was bad which made me think it was just a simple bulb replacement job. When I looked at the front & back lights to see which bulb had blown, I expected to see no light at all from one or the other. The back-left turn signal light seemed to be okay (except for the fast blinking). The front-left turn signal light was also still lit, and flashing fast, but was very dim. Replacing the bulb with a new one made no change. A quick search online brought me to this forum/thread. I used a cotton swab and alcohol to clean the copper/metal tang, reinserted the new bulb all worked properly. I'll see how long this "quick-fix" holds. If the problem reoccurs, I'll go to a pick-and-pull and find another socket.

By the way, I'd like to take this opportunity to thank Hyundai for: 1) Making it so difficult to change a simple light bulb; 2) manufacturing something as simple as a bulb holder (socket) so low in quality that it malfunctions; and 3) not selling a replacement bulb holder separate from the $500+ headlight assembly! There is no doubt in my mind that Hyundai insisted its engineers design the Santa Fe light assemblies in such a manner just so that they can squeeze more money out of its customers. I've NEVER owned a vehicle where I had to remove the entire light assembly just to change a friggin' bulb! Removing the 3 bolts/screws that hold the front light assembly is easy enough, but pulling it out far enough to reach the turn signal socket is a major pain in the keister; putting it back in is twice as difficult! I have never... EVER owned a vehicle where the light socket has gone bad or needs to be cleaned in order to work properly... what a piece of garbage! I just spoke to the parts department at my dealer who confirmed that you cannot by the bulb holder for the front turn signal separate from the entire $500+ front headlight assembly! REALLY?!? That piece of plastic, garbage bulb holder isn't even wired into the assembly!!!

Oh well. Thank you for helping me pinpoint the problem and for providing the solution! Hopefully it will stay fixed. If not, like I said, I'll go to my local pick-and-pull to get another socket vice giving one more dime to Hyundai.

Regards,
Will

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey guys,

Exactly the same issue here. I switched the turn signal bulb socket from one side to the other to isolate that it's the socket and not some other part of the electrical that's causing the problem.

I'll try the fix with cleaning the connector and let you know how it turns out.

As far as buying a replacement socket, I really don't want to spend $500 on a new headlight assembly.

Does anyone know of another way to get a replacement socket (only)? What about non-OEM or used parts? Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Oh, btw--2007 Hyundai Santa Fe, Limited

·
Registered
3,036 Posts
Sounds like oxidization and some corrosion has gotten into some of these.

From above "That piece of plastic, garbage bulb holder isn't even wired into the assembly!!!"

Where is it getting its power from then?

·
Registered
3,036 Posts
I'll be trying LED replacements in the rear signals. I am hoping they will be accessible and hopefully the SF is using an electronic flasher by now or I will have trouble.

If I get at one side I'll test it first before going ahead with the other rear side. I won't have them for a while as I am waiting for the shipment and working with plastic is not a cold weather job.

·
Registered
3 Posts

I tried this as well and it worked like a charm.

I bent the tang out just a bit (very carefully), sanded it just a tiny bit with some very fine grain sandpaper. Cleaned it with electrical contact cleaner, then I sprayed it with a tiny bit of di-electric grease. Not taking any chances with this thing (hopefully).

Seems to be working fine now.

What a crock that the only way to get that part is to buy a whole new headlight assembly. Very irritating.

Thanks again for the great tip jsvob03!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thank you to everyone on this board. I was having the same fast clicking left turn signal. I had replaced the bulb with no luck-- same deal. After reading your advice, I cleaned all the connections, applied a little bulb grease and voila, all fixed! Thanks again All.

·
Registered
1 Posts
We've had our right rear indicator working on and off for 1.5 years and finally found this forum!
We took the bulb out, bent the copper/metal contact slightly up, cleaned it with an alcohol swab just in case and I think we're good to go! Thanx for the replies; very helpful!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
UPDATE AS OF DEC. 23, 2015

Well my lights started working again shortly after my last post on this thread but as of Dec. 23rd they stopped working again, and as of yet have not returned to working, so I fear that this problem is in need of a proper fix.
Does anyone have any similar problems, or experiences with this topic and any other suggestions?
I am going to the auto parts store to purchase a new turn signal switch and going to give it a go at installing it myself.
Please feel free to chime in with any tips or suggestions.

·
Registered
Drives : Nissan NV200 Flies : Rans S6ES
16,323 Posts
My hazard signals work when my turn signal works
Does that also mean the hazard signals don't work when the turn signals fail to work?

If that's the case I'd save your money because it's unlikely to be the turn signal switch that's causing the problem. Both not working at the same time would point more to a failed flasher relay (yes, it has one) or possibly a faulty hazard lamps switch. In my experience it's more often the flasher relay though.

Unfortunately, Hyundai are in the habit of putting a lot of the relays inside a relay control box these days so you can't just unplug the faulty one and plug in a new one. Hyundai want you to replace the whole relay box which is obviously a lot more money than a flasher relay that you could buy from any parts store. You could still fit the flasher relay from the parts store though. After all, apart from the relay being soldered inside a control unit the rest of the circuit is the same as any other car. It's just that you'd need to modify the wiring a bit to make it work. Compare the price of both parts to see if the wiring modification is worth the effort. My guess is a flasher unit will cost about $10 and the relay box will be $100+ from the dealer. Maybe half that if you can find a used on on e'bay.

Scottie.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Does that also mean the hazard signals don't work when the turn signals fail to work?

If that's the case I'd save your money because it's unlikely to be the turn signal switch that's causing the problem. Both not working at the same time would point more to a failed flasher relay (yes, it has one) or possibly a faulty hazard lamps switch. In my experience it's more often the flasher relay though.

Unfortunately, Hyundai are in the habit of putting a lot of the relays inside a relay control box these days so you can't just unplug the faulty one and plug in a new one. Hyundai want you to replace the whole relay box which is obviously a lot more money than a flasher relay that you could buy from any parts store. You could still fit the flasher relay from the parts store though. After all, apart from the relay being soldered inside a control unit the rest of the circuit is the same as any other car. It's just that you'd need to modify the wiring a bit to make it work. Compare the price of both parts to see if the wiring modification is worth the effort. My guess is a flasher unit will cost about $10 and the relay box will be $100+ from the dealer. Maybe half that if you can find a used on on e'bay.

Scottie.

Actually that original quote was my error. The hazards continue to work fine even though the turn signals do not work at all.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts