Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks,

I've got a bit of a strange problem and I'd appreciate some help nutting it out before I start throwing money away hoping something will work.

A few weeks ago I went to start the car after stopping for a few minutes, and it wouldn't start. The engine would turn over, but there was no fire. After trying on and off for a few minutes it finally started, and I got home. My initial thought was that my key had broken and the immobiliser was kicking in, but the same behaviour is displaying with my wife's key as well.

A few days later the car stalled twice while I was driving through a takeaway drive-thru but started immediately. The next day, my wife was driving the car slowly through a car park and it stalled on her. Again, it started immediately. However, it has stalled on several occasions since when we'd have to wait five minutes or so before it would fire, in a similar manner to the first time. It will sometimes miss when I'm driving faster but not stall, thankfully. We're now having several incidents a day, and I really don't want to be driving it. If it were just a stall it wouldn't be so bad, but I'm really worried I'm going to get stuck at a major intersection one day soon.

We've noticed some common elements. When it stalls we are going slower and, as far as I can tell, the car isn't under acceleration. We are either slowing down or idling. I have tried using the sports shift to increase the revs when approaching an intersection and this seems to help. I got a bit lazy making one turn today and didn't shift manually, and it stalled. Thankfully, I was able to roll to a safe spot. Also, it doesn't seem to be a problem when the car is cold. It doesn't seem to happen in the first ten minutes of running for the day. Sometimes it will fire up again immediately, sometimes it won't.

One bizarre thing: A few times I've accidentally left the key in the 'on' position. On at least three occasions the car has mysteriously tried to start itself. After a few seconds of sitting there, the engine will start turning over, with no help from me! It is yet to succeed in firing.

I should add that there is no roughness or spluttering to warn me that the engine is about to stall. It just stops going.

Last week I took it to the Hyundai dealer. The computer showed nothing, the immobiliser didn't appear to have been activated, and when it was run on the hoist for a while there were no problems. The guy was stumped, and the only way he could see to fix it is to start replacing components until the problem disappears. That might fix the problem, but it'll also break my bank!

If anyone has any insight into my problem, I would really appreciate hearing from you!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well, after two visits to the dealer this issue is finally sorted! It turns out the crank sensor had crapped out and become a little, well, cranky and sensitive. When it heated up just enough it would stop sending whatever signal it sends and the engine would just stall. The dealer replaced it, and it's been perfect ever since!

·
Registered
Drives : Nissan NV200 Flies : Rans S6ES
15,277 Posts
Thanks for posting back to confirm the fix. I'm sure the next person experiencing the same issues will appreciate it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Well, after two visits to the dealer this issue is finally sorted! It turns out the crank sensor had crapped out and become a little, well, cranky and sensitive. When it heated up just enough it would stop sending whatever signal it sends and the engine would just stall. The dealer replaced it, and it's been perfect ever since!
Many thanks...just began w/exact same prob. & dealer says can't find anything...! Name a note & will keep in file. Only 97k on my '07...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts