Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I replaced the parking brakes which had never been replaced. It was all rusted and did not work at all.
It appears that both side brakes are sitting nicely but don't seem to work right. The left side seems to be
dragging while the right side is still sort of loose.

I feel it has something to do with the orientation of the star adjuster. The star adjuster with the threaded side pin should be facing
outward or inward? Which pad does the real work (I understand both pads don't exert the same pressure). Maybe, I put the star adjuster
wrong and that is why having all these issues.
Any insight will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Can anybody help me with these two pieces of information...
Is the orientation of the star adjuster correct ? it is facing backward but later I reversed it
BTW, its on the driver side.
In the 2nd pic, the front brake shoe moves out when brake pedal is pressed. Nothing happens to the rearward brake shoe.
Is that normal behavior?
These shoes are not holding the car at idle...
Been struggling with it a long time now..
Thanks! star adjuster.jpg pedal brake pressed.jpg

·
Registered
3,696 Posts
If you look closely at the second pic the shoe is not returning back onto the anchor point. It could be the link seized or the cable.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
I like the anti-seize from a to b over everything including the shoes it appears. How intact is that backing plate? I think a total strip down and wire brush or refurb, pretty crusty .

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you look closely at the second pic the shoe is not returning back onto the anchor point. It could be the link seized or the cable.
The brake pedal is pressed. Once released the shoe goes back fully.
Only the front shoe moves out, the other one does not - is the normal ?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I like the anti-seize from a to b over everything including the shoes it appears. How intact is that backing plate? I think a total strip down and wire brush or refurb, pretty crusty .
I know anti seize is over done. Although it looks rusty, the actuator / strut is moving freely.
Is the star adjuster orientation correct - i.e. facing rear?

·
Registered
3,696 Posts
Star adjuster makes no difference in performance. They usually fit one way to allow adjustment access but if it's thru the disc rotor it makes no difference except frustration when an experienced adjusts the handbrake. Why would pressing the brake pedal have anything to do with the handbrake shoes?

·
Registered
3,696 Posts
Ah that's better. Maybe it's adjustment error. Try backing the cable off then adjusting the shoes till they lock against the internal drum then back off till free then readjust the cable to take up the slack. Many either lazy or lack of knowledge just adjust the cable to adjust the handbrake. Wrong way.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks for the info! i will exactly try that
Today, I loosened the cable at the equalizer, took out the actuator and soaking in evaporust.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
thanks for the info! i will exactly try that
Today, I loosened the cable at the equalizer, took out the actuator and soaking in evaporust.
Sounds like a plan. I just got myself a Santa Fe with this foot brake, it was totally ineffective too but that's what happens when it's not maintained. I had fun with it and I had one adjuster seized. Backed the cable off and adjusted the shoes as best I could then retensioned the cable. All by guesswork but huge improvement , at least it holds on the flat now:LOL:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts