Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for help on replacing my Neutral Safety Switch. Shifting the Transmission began to get very hard to do, like the linkage was binding up. Pulled center console, latching mechanism unlocks when i apply the brake, was able to shift with much difficulty into reverse and now i can only get it to shift between reverse and neutral. It is all cable from shifter to transmission and the cable seems fine, no binding there that I can see. Got the nut off the trans linkage but can't get the shift arm to come off the rod and removed the 2 bolts on the safety switch but nothing wants to come apart. Just rusted on? Don't want to use the BFH and break anything.
Thanks in advance

·
Registered
7,163 Posts
Hard shifting may well be the fault of the shaft as it runs down into the transmission from the pivot to which the cable is attached. Have seen this a number of times before on earlier CM models. You won't 'see' the binding as it will be happening down the shaft into the tranny. We've got a thread on this around here somewhere. Let me see if I can find it and update this post.

Edit: Here's the old thread >> http://www.hyundai-forums.com/cm-2007-2012-santa-fe/335114-shifter-gear-select-hard-move.html

Might well be what you're dealing with.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Selector shaft seizing in the trans case.. we had a few do it already..

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the reply, that is exactly what it was. Found info on another site and wd-40'd everything. Eventually got the linkage arm to come off then the Neutral switch. Kept spraying with WD-40 and working the shifter shaft with an adjustable wrench on it until it was moving smoothly through the whole range of gears. Put it back together and it seems to be working flawlessly.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello. I have a 2008 Hyundai Santa Fe SUV. Sometimes as I drive the SUV, it seized on the road. And it starts immediately I restart it. It occurs once in about every 2 weeks. Please can you diagnose the problem.

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
Hello. I have a 2008 Hyundai Santa Fe SUV. Sometimes as I drive the SUV, it seized on the road. And it starts immediately I restart it. It occurs once in about every 2 weeks. Please can you diagnose the problem.
Nsor123 you need to go back to the top of the CM section and hit the "start new thread" button, then put in your title and start a new thread.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hard shifting may well be the fault of the shaft as it runs down into the transmission from the pivot to which the cable is attached. Have seen this a number of times before on earlier CM models. You won't 'see' the binding as it will be happening down the shaft into the tranny. We've got a thread on this around here somewhere. Let me see if I can find it and update this post.

Edit: Here's the old thread >> Shifter / gear select hard to move

Might well be what you're dealing with.
Hey canderson I’ve been reading your post and sounds like you know ur stuff.
I have a 2009 Hyundai Santa Fe and replaced the neutral safety shift But now I can’t seem to get the gear cable in its right place , when I start the car everything is in order the gear goes from park to drive , the issue is when I put it to park the dashboard says it’s on reverse.

·
Registered
2009 Hyundai Santa Fe GLS 3.3L AWD
11 Posts
There is an alignment hole when you reinstall the neutral safety switch, you have to insert a small drill bit before you tighten everything up. It should be somewhere in this forum on how to do it, pretty sure it has to be in neutral when you tighten everything down.

Also the shifting cable, at the end of it there is an eyelet and a bolt in the eyelet. That bolt is supposed to spin freely, if it's seized like it was in my case, it become difficult if near impossible to get everything lined up correctly. I made a post before talking about getting it moving again.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts