Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
US Model 2007 Sante Fe Limited Gasoline V6 3.3L Sunroof , FWD Automatic
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2007 Santa Fe Map Light/Dome (Room) light modification TSB requested

My wife has a 2007 Santa Fe that was built in July 2006 and she has long suffered a dark front interior when getting in and out. I doubt Hyundai will authorize an upgrade kit for this vehicle so I am going to undertake it myself. I am pretty sure what it entails electrically, but would like a copy of the actual TSB so I can make sure my assumptions are correct.

Could someone with access to the TSB for a sunroof model kindly post a link here? Thanks Joe

·
Registered
Drives : Nissan NV200 Flies : Rans S6ES
17,134 Posts
I don't think THIS TSB applies to your 2006MY car. I think you will need to modify the wiring to make the map lights come on when the doors are open.

If I helped you fix it, why not...

Your support is greatly appreciated

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't think THIS TSB applies to your 2006MY car. I think you will need to modify the wiring to make the map lights come on when the doors are open.

Thanks
What I am trying to figure out basically, is if the body control module can actually sink the current of the additional pair of light bulbs without damage. I am seeing a number of posts where the factory installed circuit has the steering diodes in the map light assembly fail which indicates the surge current of the bulbs can be quite high. I debated LED lighting, costly, and I don't like them, and wonder if they will dim down when turned off like the incandescent or just be an annoying flicker.

·
Registered
17,134 Posts
is if the body control module can actually sink the current of the additional pair of light bulbs without damage.
If your worried about that you could maybe wire a solid state relay in parallel with the room lamp. Then use the relay to switch on the map lamp. It wouldn't really add any more complication to the job of modifying the wiring. And it would add very little additional load to the BCM output. Much less than a mechanical relay would. But the main benefit of a solid state relay is it can be driven by a PWM control signal, unlike a mechanical relay. So it should dim the map lamp along with the room lamp. Just make sure you buy one suitable for powering a DC load. Something like this might work...
Font Machine Circuit component Rectangle Gas

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If your worried about that you could maybe wire a solid state relay in parallel with the room lamp. Then use the relay to switch on the map lamp. It wouldn't really add any more complication to the job of modifying the wiring. And it would add very little additional load to the BCM output. Much less than a mechanical relay would. But the main benefit of a solid state relay is it can be driven by a PWM control signal, unlike a mechanical relay. So it should dim the map lamp along with the room lamp. Just make sure you buy one suitable for powering a DC load. Something like this might work...
View attachment 464983

Actually, that is exactly my fall back scheme. I intend to simply add two diodes to the existing map light assembly. I am hoping there is space above the headliner for the SSR.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I just ordered that same part for about $12. I have been putting this off until now that my wife, after 11 years of owning this car is now finally complaining about the lack of lighting. When I complained about it she said she never drove at night. Now she does. Had she listened to me before we could have had Hyundai fix the problem. Now I have to do the numbers, but I am pretty sure that a heat sink will be unnecessary. Thanks!

Edit: By the way, while that Fotek part is probably fine switching some map light bulbs, apparently the company is dodgy and according to BIGCLIVE and EEVBLOG Dave, the tear-down shows the switching devices are woefully underrated. I would use Crydom parts for critical applications like nuke plant control rod SCRAM or controlling the beam in a nuclear medicine apparatus.

·
Registered
17,134 Posts
By the way, while that Fotek part is probably fine switching some map light bulbs, apparently the company is dodgy
I'm not familiar with that particular device. It was just the first one that came up when I went looking for a photo of an SSR on Google. As you say, it'll probably be fine for controlling the map light.

according to BIGCLIVE and EEVBLOG Dave, the tear-down shows the switching devices are woefully underrated.
I don't doubt it if they're saying so. Two of my favourite youtubers :D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts