Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
QUOTE (orlzx6r @ May 12 2010, 11:06 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=322350
Just saw on another forum that was talking about a defective head gasket on a 07 Santa Fe that leaked coolant into the engine and caused sludge to form. Anybody on here have any problems similar to this? BTW I've got a 07 Santa Fe GLS with the 2.7 liter.

Not ssen anything...

BTW, coolant in oil and driven = motor replacement,, not sludge.. sludge comes from missing oil changes, never changing oil with age.

·
Registered
121 Posts
If you have a quite a bit of coolant in your oil, the oil will be milky colored and the filler cap will have a milky sludge attached to it with beads of water clinging to it.

If you do not have milky oil then you can test for coolant in the oil by putting some of the oil on you finger and taste it, it will be sweet to the taste.

I know I will be getting some flack about this test from some on this forum, :whistling: but I have found that this works and I have not died yet. Just flush you mouth out will lots of clean water.

If you have coolant in your oil and suspect a head gasket leaking, fill the radiator full leaving the cap off and start engine and watch for bubbles at the filler cap. that should indicate if you have a leaky head gasket. Or take it to your mechanic and have each cyl pressured up and check for leakage. ( Known as a leak down test) Remember that the coolant will only leak into the cylinders when the car is not running as the average pressure in the cylinder is higher than the coolant pressure.

Another spot for a leak is the intake manifold gasket leak, which will leak all the time.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
This is a new one to me. Are you sure you weren't looking for the Chevy Traverse forum? :grin:

Just kidding. Why do you ask?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi , I have a 2007 Santa Fe 3.3L. The gasket first leaked when I hit 102000km just over the warranty. With a lot or argueing Hyundai fixed it for free.
Guess what now I am at 164000km. Head Gasket leaking again. The coolant has disappeared and white exhaust is abundant.
I have it at an independant garage, waiting for the compression test results. Will keep advised.

Pete.

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
Hi , I have a 2007 Santa Fe 3.3L. The gasket first leaked when I hit 102000km just over the warranty. With a lot or argueing Hyundai fixed it for free.
Guess what now I am at 164000km. Head Gasket leaking again. The coolant has disappeared and white exhaust is abundant.
I have it at an independant garage, waiting for the compression test results. Will keep advised.

Pete.
Well, you hit the lottery in a negative way. One of the better things about Hyundai's is the fact that they have a very good coolant system. Almost no posts about head gaskets, radiators, thermostats. A few yes, but if you go to a mazda, Toyota, BMW etc forums, you will see literally hundreds of posts about all three of these.

·
Registered
7,163 Posts

Pete.
As John notes, quite unusual for a 3.3L Hyundai engine. Especially so now that you seem to have encountered it a 2nd time.

When they replaced the original at 102Kkm, do you know exactly what they did in the process of replacing the gasket? For example, did they resurface the head, or ??? Did they identify the specific point of failure for you (e.g., gap opened between water jacket and cylinder #3 or whatever)?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts