Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll need a front brake job soon and may do it myself if there are no rotor issues. Question is that the dealer advertises that they repack the wheel bearing when they do a brake job. I can see this on a rear drive model with front spindles, but I've never seen this on a FWD vehicle with CV joints.

I've got no problem doing it, but would need some advise on removal (if I pack them the way you pack a standard bearing race). Don't particularly want to pull the drive shafts! :(

Any comments?

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
No servicable lube/brg at front or rear.. Large 2 row ball bearing pressed into knuckle and hub pressed through center of bearing.. not going to happen..

Offer to pay double on the lube if you can watch them lube the wheel bearing..

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
QUOTE (sbr711 @ Aug 27 2010, 12:32 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=352300
Offer to pay double on the lube if you can watch them lube the wheel bearing..
What kind of dealer risks its franchise on such blatantly fraudulent advice, when there are so many "legitimate" ways to fleece people (ie: engine flushes, nitrogen-filled tires, paint treatments, etc.)? It's just plain stupid.

I smell a service advisor who needs some supervision, and maybe six months of community service.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
QUOTE (Don67 @ Aug 27 2010, 01:12 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=352313
What kind of dealer risks its franchise on such blatantly fraudulent advice, when there are so many "legitimate" ways to fleece people (ie: engine flushes, nitrogen-filled tires, paint treatments, etc.)? It's just plain stupid.

I smell a service advisor who needs some supervision, and maybe six months of community service.

thought it sounded wacky. (This comment ^^^ is pretty funny!) Thanks guys, as always.

·
Registered
7,163 Posts
QUOTE (ThunderLizard @ Aug 27 2010, 08:52 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=352294
I'll need a front brake job soon and may do it myself if there are no rotor issues. Question is that the dealer advertises that they repack the wheel bearing when they do a brake job. I can see this on a rear drive model with front spindles, but I've never seen this on a FWD vehicle with CV joints.

I've got no problem doing it, but would need some advise on removal (if I pack them the way you pack a standard bearing race). Don't particularly want to pull the drive shafts! :(

Any comments?
To be fair, was his ad for the job specific to your vehicle? It's not like there haven't been RWD vehicles made with re-packable front wheel bearings. Perhaps the caveat should be .. "...if you your vehicle is so equipped"?

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
QUOTE (canderson @ Aug 28 2010, 10:32 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=352530
To be fair, was his ad for the job specific to your vehicle? It's not like there haven't been RWD vehicles made with re-packable front wheel bearings. Perhaps the caveat should be .. "...if you your vehicle is so equipped"?
Good point. I think many of us missed the word "advertises" in the original post. I did.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts