Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

My sister has a 2007 Santa Fe that has starting problems intermittently.

The mechanic is stumped.

It cranks without any trouble, but it won't start. All lights turn on, glow plug light turns off. It appears to be very random.

But they have found one thing that will allow the car to start, when they hear a whirr at the back of the car, we assume the fuel tank, the car will start, without that whirr the car will just crank and crank.

It will be fine for months then do it a few times in a single day.

The mechanic has checked the codes, and even given them an engine code recorder to see what codes might be thrown at the time that it doesn't start, but that didn't seem to reveal anything.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Whirr probably electric boost pump in the tank. When he is not working the engine will not start. You have to check the power of the pump, the pump itself at the time of manifestation of the problem.

·
Banned
1,850 Posts
But they have found one thing that will allow the car to start, when they hear a whirr at the back of the car, we assume the fuel tank, the car will start, without that whirr the car will just crank and crank.
If your "mechanic" doesn't recognize that clue.......you need to find a new mechanic. :eek:

Sounds like an intermittent fuel pump to me......or a connecton to it.

I once had a Honda that would quit about twice a year.
After about 7 years......and out of warranty.....it finally quit completely. A new fuel pump fixed it nicely.

·
Registered
843 Posts
Certainly a problem with your fuel pump, located inside the tank. It needs to build up fuel pressure at the engine common rail for the injectors.
So it will run (wirr) for a little while when you turn your contact key (without crancking) and then it stops untill you start cranking, it will run again.
But being intermittently, most likely a bad connector or wiring problem.
Maybe even a problem with the fuse, so check, check.
Good luck,
Paul

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies. It is a tough problem to check, as it only happens when you don't have your tools around, e.g. supermarket, school carpark etc., haha, but my guy feeling has been the fuel pump and the mechanic has effectively given up, so we'll start getting serious ourselves.

·
Registered
843 Posts
You could check the pump relay in the engine bay fusebox.
There you could interconnect it's switch contacts in the holder after pulling the relay, then the pump should engage and wirr. You could interchange the relay for a while with another with the same colour, being identical.
When the fault reoccurs on the other circuit it is the relay.
Eventually it could ofcourse be the pump itself.
There are some earlier threads about fuelpump issues so you might check previous pages on this forum.
Good luck,
Paul

·
Registered
843 Posts
Hi Jeremy,
You also could check the fuel pressure sensor. When it's constantly signalling pressure reached the ECM will switch off the fuel pump.
But if that's an erronous signal the engine will not get fuel so it will stop.
Also there is the fuel purge valve, to drain excessive fuel. If that is sticky it will unintentionally drain the fuel rail so you loose fuel pressure for your injectors, so then also the engine stops.
But I suppose that's a bit difficult to diagnose yourself, because you would need to hook up a pressure gauge at the fuel rail to read the pressures.
Good luck,
Paul

PS. Sonata,
An EGR problem will not stop you from starting and running the engine.
It might give you a bad idle and performance.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Hi Paul, I am having the same problem with my 2007 santa fe 2.2 diesel engine. I just remove all the fuel injector electrical sockets to clean the leaking oil from injector rubber seal. Then when put it back and try to start, it won't start until the third try finally starts. So I drove it to my work and park, and after 8hrs when i try to start it won't start anymore.
The initial code i've got was P0335 cranckshaft position sensor A circuit. I replaced it, still won't start.
I also replace the camshaft sensor coz I also found P0341 error code. Still won't start.

I tried to spray a brake cleaner in the intake and crank, it sounds the engine is trying to start with the help of the brake cleaner.
It is possible those injectors became bad after i just pulled those electrical sockets to clean it?
or the EGR are just close/open due to carbon buildup that causes the engine not to start???
or is there any possible bigger problem in the engine, like electrical impulse of the injector that prevent it to spray fuel???

1 - 10 of 10 Posts