Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I own a 2007 2.2 CRDI Santa Fe that is acting up when I try to start it with the engine warm. It already happened a couple of times, after driving around and parking for about 1 hour, the car cranks, but doesn't start. After leaving it for 40 more minutes the car started without problems.

The car starts without problems when cold and also when hot, in the first 5-10 minutes after shutting down the engine. There is no smoke coming out, idle is stable, the car still drives ok and the engine doesn't stall.

The immobilizer light comes on when I put the key in and usually turns off after I crank the engine for 3-5 seconds.

A Check Engine light came on yesterday after my 3rd fail attempt to start it, but could be due to me pushing it ?! I'll get the codes read tomorrow.

Any clues on what might be causing this?

Thanks,
George

·
Registered
Drives : Nissan NV200 Flies : Rans S6ES
15,298 Posts
The immobilizer light comes on when I put the key in and usually turns off after I crank the engine for 3-5 seconds.
You say the immobilizer light "usually" turns off during crank. Does that mean sometimes it doesn't? Does it turn off when the engine fails to start?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The immobilizer light is always on when I rotate the key in. When it starts up ok, the icon disappears, when it failed to start it shut off before I stopped cranking the car.

I have uploaded 2 videos from yesterday's attempts here (hope links are ok):
vimeo.com/279048798
vimeo.com/279049976

·
Registered
15,298 Posts
What I notice in your videos is the rev counter didn't move during crank. That is often a symptom of a crank sensor signal fault. If you have a scan tool check the engine RPM on the data display during crank to see if the value increases. While your there take a look at the rail pressure sensor voltage. The voltage should increase during crank if pressure is building in the rail. If the RPM display shows zero and the pressure in the rail doesn't increase during crank that would seem to confirm a crank sensor issue. The electric fuel pump in the tank wont run if there isn't a crank sensor signal input to the PCM.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the fast reply autospark.

I got a bit delayed and didn't get the tester today, but hopefully I will be able to test it tomorrow, if I can get the same conditions again (car not starting). Would the crank sensor failure trigger a code? Also, can it fail just in certain temperature conditions?

·
Registered
15,298 Posts
Would the crank sensor failure trigger a code?
It usually doesn't.

santafero said:
Also, can it fail just in certain temperature conditions?
It usually does.

It's quite common for Hyundai crank sensors to fail when they get hot, then start to work again when the cool down. There are several posts on the forums here from folk complaining about the engine cutting out while they're driving and it wont restart straight away, but does after the engine (and the sensor) cools down. A few have even taken the time to post back and confirm that replacing the crank sensor cured the problem.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Autospark, I took the car to my local shop and after scanning they came to the same conclusion, crank sensor. They replaced it on Friday and I didn't have any issues since.

·
Registered
15,298 Posts
Great to hear you got it fixed.

Just shows that diagnosing faults is much easier when you can see & hear the fault rather than just reading the symptoms of it on a forum.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts