Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2007 Santa Fe 2.7 engine

My wife was driving along and she said she heard a loud 'thunk' and then she couldn't accelerate and the engine light came on. I don't know if she had to restart it or what but she finished out her day and made it home ok. The engine light went off. When she got home I put the scanner on it. I have a Actron 9580A. It came up with 3 codes.

P2106
P1295
P161b

From what I've read on here and what the codes tell me I guess I need a throttle position sensor and that a computer update is needed. Is the ECM update something that can be done without taking it in? If I do need someone to update it is the dealer the best place? Can I install the TPS then drive there? Or does it have to be done at the same time? I was just thinking I might save a few bucks doing it myself.

Prior to this the Santa Fe had no codes. I do need to replace the battery which tested bad last month. I think the battery will need to be replaced before doing the update.

·
Registered
7,163 Posts
Yes, with those codes, time for the sensor, and no, no way to do the firmware update except at the dealer. Option is to install sensor yourself (not a difficult job) and have the dealer do the update.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Yes, with those codes, time for the sensor, and no, no way to do the firmware update except at the dealer. Option is to install sensor yourself (not a difficult job) and have the dealer do the update.
So I guess it is ok to drive it after the TPS is put on. How far/long can I go before it would need to be updated? I just blank on why this needs to be done. Is it safe to drive before it gets updated? Will anything be damaged?

PS this occurred with 118,000 miles on the odometer.

Also when I told her what the codes meant she said she didn't think so and she thinks there something the matter with the transmission it is driving funny. I don't know what she means but could it be possible the TPS is making the transmission seem to be at fault?

·
Registered
7,163 Posts
No one here has ever been able to establish the exact function of the update. Some suggest it's remapping the output against movement, some think it may be something entirely different. Note that the sensor itself has been updated, so the output curve may be slightly different. Worst case, I suppose you would find the throttle position on the floor is a bit different vs. response of the vehicle. No one who has done the job and then rolled it in for the update has complained about anything peculiar so far.

Though you may have a transmission issue, if things are bad enough with the TPS, it can drive very erratically (throttle response all over the place, sudden loss of power, jump to 'limp home mode', etc.), and that's more likely what she experienced.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
That 3 code set says replace the TPS with the new style part, and update PCM per Hyundai instruction..

While at dealer, you will want them to do a complete fault code search, and clear out all codes from PCM, TCM and ABS/ESC that get set when the TPS take a dump.. with bum TPS info, we shut down COMM to other modules that use the info for their function, as the info is BUM, we cannot rely on proper sub-system functions to be correct.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What can I expect the update cost at the dealer to run? Did I see $100 mentioned in a previous thread? I see the TPS is going to be under $50 usd.

Thanks guys.

·
Registered
7,163 Posts
I see the TPS is going to be under $50 usd.
Providing you don't run up against a dealer parts guy who insists on trying to sell you the entire throttle body. We have seen instances of that, so you may have to hold your ground to get the new TPS by itself if you're using a dealer as your source.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I had my local guy install my TPS then took to dealership about a week later for update. Did not notice anything weird while driving with a new TPS without update.

Update cost me $100

1 - 9 of 9 Posts