Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

My better half picked up a 1.6 Diesel i30 today and we've noticed that the indicator isn't self-cancelling all the time on left turns - it tends to not turn itself off more than it does to be honest. Is this something that can be looked I to by just removing the cowl rather than the whole steering wheel on these cars?

There's also a creaking sound from the rear when going over potholes/speedbumps, but bizarrely I can't replicate it by rocking the car when parked, either side to side or on the boot. I'll get this checked by a mechanic this week but wondered if anyone had any ideas in the meantime?

Cheers!

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
On further investigation the creaking appears to be coming from the gas struts that hold the boot open - they don't do it as the boot opens so the gas isn't failing, it's possibly just a slack bolt holding them on or something along those lines.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Any thoughts on the above? The exhaust warning light has also decided to make an appearance - so the car will be going back to the purchase place whatever happens.

Am I right in thinking that the engine management light flashing means a clogged DPF on a diesel engine? There's no sign of the car going in to limp mode and no discernible performance hit. Disconnecting the battery for a while causes the light to go static on next start but start flashing again after a few corners. Got an OBD2 reader coming on Weds as well to see what's going on in it's brain.

·
Registered
4,263 Posts
Maybe a little oil on the shaft and pivot balls might fix the creaking noise. The 2007 Australian model didn't have a DPF but you have an exhaust warning light your one may well have one. Read the handbook to find out if you need to do a highway drive to burn it off. The blinker sounds like a combination switch problem. Is your steering wheel in the correct centered position? You may need to pull the steering wheel off and have a look at the self cancelling mechanism.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Maybe a little oil on the shaft and pivot balls might fix the creaking noise. The 2007 Australian model didn't have a DPF but you have an exhaust warning light your one may well have one. Read the handbook to find out if you need to do a highway drive to burn it off. The blinker sounds like a combination switch problem. Is your steering wheel in the correct centered position? You may need to pull the steering wheel off and have a look at the self cancelling mechanism.
Thanks Charles - I did consider oiling the struts but had heard of issues with oil entering the gas chamber and ruining the struts further? Or am I talking about the wrong thing?

It's a UK model so most likely will have a DPF fitted, the handbook states:

"Diesel engine (if equipped) - if the malfunction indicator light blinking, have the particulate filter system inspected by an authorised Hyundai dealer."

Another handbook for a more recent i30 does mention the motorway/high-rev drive when the light is blinking, but we've tried it and no change. I suspect either it's beyond the point of a regen and needs a full clean, or a sensor has failed. The OBD will hopefully tell us more on Weds.

Steering wheel is centred OK, I adjusted the rake and reach earlier and the indicator now cancels itself, so it may have been a transient one that's gone away for now :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Got the codes!

p0472 Exhaust Pressure Sensor Low Input
p2002 Diesel Particulate Filter Efficiency Below Threshold B1

I'm assuming it's a faulty or glitchy sensor, and the 2002 code has been triggered by that? If the DPF was truly clogged I'd have expected the car to go into limp mode.

·
Registered
4,263 Posts
I don't think a drop of oil on the shaft would do any damage. Regarding the DPF I haven't yet been exposed to them having only been fitted to Aussie cars from last year. Maybe some Euro cars but most manufacturers held off for obvious reasons.
Silicon spray might be a good alternative if your concerned with damage to the strut seals.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts