Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My daughter has a 2007 Hyundai Santa Fe Diesel. Money spent on it in 3 years is nothing short of insane. Can anybody please help? It idles fine and drives fine up to 75/80kms, the MIL is on. The DPF, TURBO, FUEL FILTER, AIR FILTER and MAF SENSOR have all been replaced! Any advice will be greatly appreciated. Cheers

·
Registered
12,672 Posts
WOW...that's a lot of parts you've had replaced there. I assume all those parts weren't fitted in an attempt to fix this current issue?

You say the MIL is on so there must be a trouble code logged in the engine PCM. If you can share the codes with us that might give us a clue about what's going on with the engine. It's kinda pointless offering advise when we don't know what the PCM is getting upset about.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you so much for replying so quickly! Sorry I forgot the code. P0237, the turbo was replaced about 9 months ago and engine put back together(dealership pulled everything apart to diagnose why white smoke was billowing from the exhaust), long story short, they quoted $13500 for new engine, father got involved, another mechanic diagnosed turbo. The car was ok till July, it was stalling and running crap so another mechanic installed a new DPF, said mechanic wrote “cleared all codes, test drove, drove ok”, and advised that further testing to check why DPF blocked! We ran out of money. My daughter has only driven 200 kms since new DPF, and didn’t realise anything was wrong until she drove on the highway.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I rang DPF mechanic and was told it must be injectors $2000 to replace. A lot of questions from me and he wasn’t happy. So I decided to google and ask questions, I’m no mechanic but I try. I replaced the MAF sensor, fuel filter and air filter.(trying to help my daughter), I also found that the MIL light was missing a bulb after I took the dash apart. 3 mechanics quoted over $400 to diagnose why the check engine light wasn’t illuminating. Sorry for such a long post but I wanted to give you an idea of the problem.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If we try to go over 80 most times it just won’t, even with pedal to the floor, but it doesn’t over rev either. Then sometimes we can get to 100 but as soon as we have to slow down or touch the brake it happens all over again. Not sure about full throttle from stop but I’ll ask my daughter and let you know.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My daughter just tried full throttle from start and she said the car revved up to 4000 revs but wouldnt change gears until she eased off the accelerator. Cheers

·
Registered
12,672 Posts
Sorry I forgot the code. P0237, the turbo was replaced about 9 months ago
OK, you have P0237 - Boost Pressure Sensor Low Input logged and that explains why the engine performance is so poor.
The trouble code means the engine computer can't control the turbo's boost pressure so the computer has basically switched the turbo off as a fail safe measure, preventing it from producing any boost. This code is due to a sensor circuit fault. Although it's a boost pressure code, it has nothing to do with the turbo itself.

If you have a voltmeter and a pin/needle I can tell you how to check the boost sensor wiring. The code says Low Input which means either the sensor's power supply wire is open circuit/broken, or the signal wire is open/short circuit to ground. Testing the voltages at the sensor connector should give you a clue which fault your dealing with. And I suppose the very first thing you should do is just make sure the sensor is actually plugged in. Sensor location shown below :

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you so so much, I will have the car here on the weekend so I’ll do what you advised. I’ll let you know how I go 🙏🙏🤝🤝🤝

1 - 10 of 10 Posts