Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I have a 2007 Elantra and my wife left the key in the ignition turned on. I went to start it and it needed a jump but then started up fine. But, the park and dash lights stopped working. Also, the power window and door locks have stopped working. Anyone know what this could be? Thanks

·
Registered
17,554 Posts
We didnt have small shower of sparks when we attach cables,,,, maybe breifly backwards for a split second ??

Quick inspect going to be to use DVOM and stick each leg of each fuse for source voltage on both sides

·
Registered
5,241 Posts
Hello, I have a 2007 Elantra and my wife left the key in the ignition turned on. I went to start it and it needed a jump but then started up fine. But, the park and dash lights stopped working. Also, the power window and door locks have stopped working. Anyone know what this could be? Thanks
You have to be careful how you hook up the cables. I'm not talking about having them backwards but where you hook the cables. You do not want to ground through anything but the frame and be sure it's as close to the battery ground cable that goes to it. Imagine grounding in the rear of the vehicle. I understand this is not going to happen. But, a lot of current will travel through the entire vehicle during the starting. This can create voltage differences at ground points along the way. I know it's ground and how can there be voltage changes. I cannot explain electrical theory here but it can effect the modules and do anything from nothing to making them reset or blowing them out. I've had many customers who grounded at the ABS module because it;s right there on many GM and Ford's. Some just needed to be reset and some blew the module.
Try resetting the BCM by pulling the fuse for a minute.

·
Registered
3,919 Posts
When connecting any circuit (turning on), there are transients.
Voltages and current flow which happen during initial start up
Or in this case, when jump starting the battery/engine
It may have blown a fuse. Who knows?
But, as was previously said, check fuses by using multi-meter, DVM, or test light
Check the two metal tabs on each fuse to see power on both or fuse is blown

Good luck

Fuse box .. two .. one in engine bay, one in dash
BCM?? no idea

1 - 8 of 8 Posts