Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2007 Hyundai Elantra
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey,
So recently the battery in my wife's 2007 Hyundai Elantra drained from not being used. We got it charged back up, but now that it's charged back up, the key fob doesn't lock/unlock the doors, none of the power windows work, the windshield wipers only work on higher speeds, and the dashboard back light doesn't come on when the headlights are turned on (check engine light, battery light and all those little lights still work). Any ideas of what's going on or what to do?

Edit to add: Also, the radio and the 12V outlets do work. The headlights and fog lights all work as well. The trunk opener doesn't work but we can use the key to open it.

·
Registered
Drives : Nissan NV200 Flies : Rans S6ES
14,292 Posts
I assume you have already checked ALL the fuses, using a voltmeter or test light?
Did you jump start it by any chance? If so make sure the alternator fuse out on the engine bay fusebox isn't blown.

·
Registered
2007 Honda CRV
4,392 Posts
Check all your fuses in the fuse boxes, one in engine bay and one in dash
When checking fuses, pull fuses out as well as using test light to check test pints on fuses.
Recently had one where the fuse tested good
but the corrosion disconnected the leg on the load side.
So test points checked good but fuse was bad.

·
Registered
2019 Hyundai Elantra SE
214 Posts
Did you check the fuses that are in the box in the engine compartment? Sounds like you blew a main...

·
Registered
2007 Hyundai Elantra
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I checked all the fuses in the engine compartment and the driver's side door area. All fuses checked out fine. And yes, we did jump start it at one point. The alternator fuse was fine though.

·
Registered
14,292 Posts
All the fuses check out. What now?
Remove the B+ fuselink from the engine bay fusebox (RED in the photo below).
Use a voltmeter or test light to probe the two terminals in the fuse socket on the fusebox. Is there 12V on one of the terminals?
If there is 12V being supplied to the fuselink, try moving the cooling fan fuse (YELLOW) into the B+ socket and see if that cures the problem.
Sometimes those fuselinks can be blown but it's not obvious from looking through the little window on top.

Autospark would there be a fusible link at the starter on these?
I wouldn't think so. Starter circuits aren't usually (ever) fused.

·
Registered
2007 Hyundai Elantra
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So just to make sure I check that out correctly, I would have the key in the run position to check for voltage at the fuselink?

·
Registered
2019 Hyundai Elantra SE
214 Posts
Remove the B+ fuselink from the engine bay fusebox (RED in the photo below).
Use a voltmeter or test light to probe the two terminals in the fuse socket on the fusebox. Is there 12V on one of the terminals?
If there is 12V being supplied to the fuselink, try moving the cooling fan fuse (YELLOW) into the B+ socket and see if that cures the problem.
Sometimes those fuselinks can be blown but it's not obvious from looking through the little window on top.
View attachment 445185

I wouldn't think so. Starter circuits aren't usually (ever) fused.
they are on Fords but it's an accessory wire at starter and it does exactly what his is doing

·
Registered
14,292 Posts
So just to make sure I check that out correctly, I would have the key in the run position to check for voltage at the fuselink?
It's a B+ fuse (power direct from the battery), so it shouldn't matter whether the key is on or not. Remove the B+ fuse and check to see if there is voltage being supplied to one of the two terminals in the fuse socket.

they are on Fords but it's an accessory wire at starter and it does exactly what his is doing
European Fords don't have that, AFAIK. And neither do Hyundai.

·
Registered
2007 Hyundai Elantra
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I checked the B+ fuse, there was voltage going to it, switched the fuse with the other one, it did not fix it. I also checked continuity on those two fuses since I had them out and that checked out fine.

·
Registered
14,292 Posts
ok ..don't know about the European ones
European Fords used to have wire fuselinks like that back in the 90's, but I've not seen one of those on any European car built in the 21st Century.

I checked the B+ fuse, there was voltage going to it, switched the fuse with the other one, it did not fix it. I also checked continuity on those two fuses since I had them out and that checked out fine.
OK, not that fuse then.
You said the dash back lighting doesn't work. Have you checked to see if the tail lights are working when the headlamps are switched on?
Do the interior lights & trunk light work?

·
Registered
2007 Hyundai Elantra
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Tail lights do not come on when I turn the head lights on. Also, I just noticed that the 'parking lights' (the middle switch on the headlight one between off and headlights on). Interior lights come on when I press or switch them to on. Trunk light comes on when I open the trunk.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts