Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone! This is my first post here. So I was in the process of changing out my valve cover gasket and I thought I’d first start with the spark plug gaskets that are housed in the valve cover. Well, I tried to take one out and it tore, but I didn’t think much of it, because I thought it would pop on out with enough effort. It did NOT pop out and I think I’ve made a grave mistake. That is the spark plug gasket that’s torn, right? So my question is, I’m probably gonna need an entire new valve cover, as the spark plug gaskets aren’t removable, right?

Attachments

·
Registered
4,240 Posts
I replaced the valve cover gasket on my 2001 Elantra
And they have the same spark plug gaskets in the cover
They come out with a small screw driver. or a pick.
When you buy the Felpro replacement gasket, it should come with new gasket rings for the spark plugs..

·
Registered
8 Posts
No, it's normal that the spark plug gaskets get stuck.
When I did my engine cover gasket I did the exact same thing. So what you have to do is get a gasket kit that comes with the spark plug gaskets as well as the half moon seal/gaskets. This is the full engine cover gasket kit. Once you get the full kit, continue to rip the old spark plug gaskets off and you'll also see it has a wire going around those gaskets that you have to rip out as well. I used a long nose pliers. Clean everything up with brake/parts cleaner before fitting all the new gaskets.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So I freaked out and thought I’d ruined it completely, but it was just stuck in there SUPER tight. I ended up having to get a flathead with enough length on it for torque and pry it out. The heat from the engine over the years cooked it on, basically. All’s good now, car runs great 👏

1 - 5 of 5 Posts