Hyundai Forums banner

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Just came across this thread. For reference, here is a pic of a removed sub-assy. I had to replace the rack assy. Didn't do the bushings at the time, but should have. Now I hear a noise from the rear left bushing I think. Will live with that noise as it is a major task to remove the subassy in your driveway!

Attachments

·
Registered
70 Posts
I did eventually replace one of the subframe rear bushings on my van. I bought 2 of the bushings but the replacement experience was so awful that I decided to go with just the driver's side.
Upon supporting the rear of the subframe and removing the big bolts the driver's side bushing guts fell onto the floor with a big clunk. So, yeah, that bushing was definitely shot. And by shot I mean that the rubber part had completely separated from the outer metal shell. The inner metal tube was still completely attached to the rubber.
Since the guts fell out there was no torching necessary and I thought things would progress quickly. Boy was I wrong.
Getting the old outer shell out wasn't too bad. The metal was kind of thick so it did take a while to cut through it and collapse it but it wasn't much harder than other cars/trucks I've done.
The truly awful part was getting the new bushing pushed into place. With teh van on a hoist and the subframe hanging down at the rear I didn't have room to use a ball joint press or any of my other persuaders.
I did deburr and clean up the subframe bore quite nicely and then greased it. Put the new bushing in place and it did NOT want to go very far.
To be brief I used a sturdy telescoping pole jackstand under the bushing and then lowered the hoist slightly to put a LOT of force on the bushing outer shell. Then I used my Snap-On air hammer to go around the bushing shell to gradually move the bushing into place. It took a long time and my head was pounding by the time I was done. Doing the passenger side was definitely not considered.
Be warned!

·
Registered
70 Posts
I was unable to find pics from the bushing replacement operation at the time of my last post. Last night, however, I found them on my ipad. Here you go.

In the first pic you see the bushing guts that fell onto the floor after I removed the big bolt that goes into the body and the two smaller bolts and bracket.
In the second you can see the amount of mutilation that had to take place to get the bushing outer shell out of the subframe bore.

Attachments

21 - 23 of 23 Posts