Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a 2007 Elantra Limited with 45K miles. My driving is a combination city/highway totaling appx 6K - 7.5K a year. I have the oil changed around every three - four months.

How frequently should the following items be changed:

timing belt

fuel filter

platinum spark plugs

spark plugs wires

radiator hoses

Thanks,

Mike

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
I own a 2007 Elantra Limited with 45K miles. My driving is a combination city/highway totaling appx 6K - 7.5K a year. I have the oil changed around every three - four months.

How frequently should the following items be changed:

timing belt -- std practice is 60,000

fuel filter -- no, not readily serviced anymore

platinum spark plugs -- std practice is 60,000

spark plugs wires -- do same time as plugs

radiator hoses -- we not have std practice there, usually the upper will corrode at the joint at rear of head, and leak all over the elbow hose underneath.. keep fresh clean coolant all the time, hoses not be too much worry,, but always keep eye on the upper at engine joint for seepage

Thanks,

Mike
How we handle them

Reactions: elntralx

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
looks good to me sbr :)

my personal opinion - take it or leave it - is some items may be done a little early. timing belt i like to do what i consider 'mid life' of the car. around 150,000kms or around 90,000 miles. i do the pullies as well. the belts can get much further, but i don't have the balls for that! even at 90-100k miles the belts usually come out looking good.

wires aren't really necessary to be replaced with plugs. they should be checked with a multimeter for resistance to determine if its necessary to replace.

all in all, i can't say its bad sbr. i'm just nitpicking and those things are better done early that necessary than not at all.

for elntralx: why are you not reading the owner's manual instead of asking here? everything is in there and you will have your answers faster. also comes from an 'official' source.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
timing belt -- std practice is 60,000 - dealer said 50K miles. I'm going with 60K and it'll be about nine years old. Have I waited too long?
what is a fair price to change timing belt and drive belt?

fuel filter -- no, not readily serviced anymore - good to know as it seems like a pain to change it

platinum spark plugs -- std practice is 60,000 - ok

spark plugs wires -- do same time as plugs - ok

radiator hoses -- we not have std practice there, usually the upper will corrode at the joint at rear of head, and leak all over the elbow hose underneath.. keep fresh clean coolant all the time, hoses not be too much worry,, but always keep eye on the upper at engine joint for seepage - ok

Thanks

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
looks good to me sbr :)

my personal opinion - take it or leave it - is some items may be done a little early. timing belt i like to do what i consider 'mid life' of the car. around 150,000kms or around 90,000 miles. i do the pullies as well. the belts can get much further, but i don't have the balls for that! even at 90-100k miles the belts usually come out looking good.

wires aren't really necessary to be replaced with plugs. they should be checked with a multimeter for resistance to determine if its necessary to replace.

all in all, i can't say its bad sbr. i'm just nitpicking and those things are better done early that necessary than not at all.

for elntralx: why are you not reading the owner's manual instead of asking here? everything is in there and you will have your answers faster. also comes from an 'official' source.
'

do the timing belt pulleys wear? Does it make sense to change the water pump while replacing the timing belt?

Thanks

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
'

do the timing belt pulleys wear? Does it make sense to change the water pump while replacing the timing belt?

Thanks
Almost 10yr of Hyundai service, I have never replaced pulleys on Elantra.

Water pump... as long as cooling system gets changed every couple yr and has clean fresh coolant in it, water pump last a long time.. you can see the seep hole on top of pump nose if look with light,, if it clean and free of debris, carry on... white/green chalky-crusty stuff, replace the pump... timing belt idler pulley sits over part of pump cover, and needs to be removed to get at the pump bolts and remove the pump cover.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Almost 10yr of Hyundai service, I have never replaced pulleys on Elantra.

Water pump... as long as cooling system gets changed every couple yr and has clean fresh coolant in it, water pump last a long time.. you can see the seep hole on top of pump nose if look with light,, if it clean and free of debris, carry on... white/green chalky-crusty stuff, replace the pump... timing belt idler pulley sits over part of pump cover, and needs to be removed to get at the pump bolts and remove the pump cover.
Thanks for the reminder the cooling system fluid needs to changed.
Does it need to be flushed or just changed?
If it needs to be changed which coolant do I use and how much? I live
in the mid atlantic, WAShington, DC area.

Thanks

How can I change my avatar?

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
We just do drain and fill.. kinda cheezie Hyundai dont install block drain plug on the 4 cylinders.. drain radiator and block and get most all out.

Coolant... plain old everyday std green ethylene glycol is all that used. get a 5 gallon pail, pour coolant in, then add a little over 3qt water and mix,, refill cooling system and run to warm up and "burp" system.

Reactions: elntralx

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
yes the pullies can wear. i can't speak for elantras, but the last two accents i did a timing belt on needed it. one also needed the water pump, bearing was stating to seize and was lucky i caught it in time.

but look at it this way: you're there doing the belt. the pullies will take you an extra 10 minutes if that. if one fails, it can chew your timing belt up pretty fast and result in breaking the belt and internal engine damage. worst case scenario yes. but for how little it costs and how little time it takes? i won't do the job without doing those pullies at the same time for that reason alone.

·
Banned
998 Posts
they change timing belt by both time and distance. It is scheduled 4 years/60k miles whichever occurs first.

If you are the first owner - you got the 10 year warranty on pulleys, water pump and timing gear. Hence, if the dealer will do the job and determines they need to be replaced - let them. If the pulley fails (because was not changed by them) and destroys timing belt - it is internal engine, I guess still would be warranty.

Wires and plugs - I would change them. Sure, one can test if they are failing, BUT the test is when engine is cold, not +80 deg C. Resistance is much different. Spark plugs get wear not only on the electrodes, but also from heat/pressure and the insulator develops little cracks what results in spark being not in the right time/place. I will not keep plugs for 100k miles as manual states (for KIA Rondo).

·
Registered
147 Posts
I do the timing belt every 100,000 km and get the kit which includes the pulleys and tensioner. Please note that there was a design change on the tensioner midway through 2007; the older style is the static tensioner, the newer design is automatic. I found this out after I put a new static tensioner where I had an automatic one before. Oh well, I'll switch it back on the next change.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
>for elntralx: why are you not reading the owner's manual instead of asking here? everything is in there and you will have your answers faster. also comes from an 'official' source.

I bought my car used in 2008. My warannty expired after five years. It does not have an owner's manual, only has a Maintenance Log. My questions are based on information in the maintence log.
Someone told me there is a way to access the factory shop manual from the Hyundai website. Is this true?

>they change timing belt by both time and distance. It is scheduled 4 years/60k miles whichever occurs first.

My '07 Elantra has 45K miles.and is 61/2 years old. I do not abuse the car by driving recklessly. If you owned the car when would you change the timing belt?

·
Banned
998 Posts
manual - visit hmaservice.com (https://www.hyundaitechinfo.com/)
register (free) and you get access to tons of information, including details about your car (provide vin in car detail and it will tell you when it was made, delivered, and equipped)

timing belt - like I said. They claim it should last 60k miles or 4 years (in sever conditions, but their conditions means - all cars are driven in sever conditions...) OR 90k miles and 72 months what is... 6 years, right?
Hence, to be safe - do it now?

Timing belt is rubber and some fiber (fabric).
It ages with time and use. Abuse of the car will contribute, but non-abuse will not stop aging process.

Your call.

It is DYI job, a little tricky, but doable. Belt plus idler and tensioner - no more than 150 USD.
If it fails... engine is trashed.

·
Registered
6 Posts
The owners manual for my 2007 Elantra states that the timing belt should be replaced at 90,000 miles.

Does the fact that over 90% of my driving here in Los Angeles is on our freeways mean that I shouldn't wait that long, since I'm at 72,300 miles now after 6 1/2 years of ownership?

·
Premium Member
2,180 Posts
My '07 Elantra has 45K miles.and is 61/2 years old. I do not abuse the car by driving recklessly. If you owned the car when would you change the timing belt?
It's always whichever comes first, miles or time. Rubber deteriorates as it ages. It's got nothing to do with abusing the vehicle or not. I had the belt done in my '07 Accent last year. It was five years old but only had 27,000 miles on it. It may not have needed it but the other belts were cracked and rotted so why take the chance? Besides I was able to argue me a great deal on the job from the dealer I'd just bought the car from.

·
Registered
147 Posts
manual - visit hmaservice.com (https://www.hyundaitechinfo.com/)
register (free) and you get access to tons of information, including details about your car (provide vin in car detail and it will tell you when it was made, delivered, and equipped)

timing belt - like I said. They claim it should last 60k miles or 4 years (in sever conditions, but their conditions means - all cars are driven in sever conditions...) OR 90k miles and 72 months what is... 6 years, right?
Hence, to be safe - do it now?

Timing belt is rubber and some fiber (fabric).
It ages with time and use. Abuse of the car will contribute, but non-abuse will not stop aging process.

Your call.

It is DYI job, a little tricky, but doable. Belt plus idler and tensioner - no more than 150 USD.
If it fails... engine is trashed.
hmaservice isn't able to tell my anything about my car, just has No Data, No Data, No Data. it can find the year and model though if you put it into the Shop section.

·
Banned
998 Posts
hmaservice isn't able to tell my anything about my car, just has No Data, No Data, No Data. it can find the year and model though if you put it into the Shop section.
so either you are missing some plug ins or you are using incompatible browser/OS

·
Registered
35 Posts
they change timing belt by both time and distance. It is scheduled 4 years/60k miles whichever occurs first.
My Elantra is in for an oil change right now and I got the phone call suggesting to replace the timing belt. I bought it (new) 4 years ago (maybe plus a few days) and have about 45k (km) on it... They have also said it would be over $1000 which seems quite a bit. I had a quick look at the procedure in HMA but it seems it may require a bit more skill than I got to replace the belt myself :(. Any suggestions? Is it easier than it seems? Is it worth taking to a non-Hyundai dealership? Thanks!

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Had the timing belt and both external belts replaced today at a Hyundai service dept for $559.05(after 15% discount). Without the prodding from this group I would've waited another year risked a catastrophic failure.

Thanks

I like Hyundai but don't like timing belts I'm a timing chain guy.
If Hyundai doesn't change to timing chains I'm buying a different
brand next time.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
My Elantra is in for an oil change right now and I got the phone call suggesting to replace the timing belt. I bought it (new) 4 years ago (maybe plus a few days) and have about 45k (km) on it... They have also said it would be over $1000 which seems quite a bit. I had a quick look at the procedure in HMA but it seems it may require a bit more skill than I got to replace the belt myself :(. Any suggestions? Is it easier than it seems? Is it worth taking to a non-Hyundai dealership? Thanks!
What year is your Elantra? They are probably going to do some other work as well for that price.

I was quoted $559 to $704 ro replace all three belts.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts