Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello - new to this forum.

Have had a 2007 Santa Fe diesel auto for the last 3 years or so - really like it - very few problems.

One issue I have had is whilst towing the car goes into a limp home mode where it won't go above 50mph or 3000 revs. Happened once on holiday last year and 3 times this year.

Only happens when towing, and usually just after a stop (for fuel or lunch etc.). When restarting, car is OK again.

Dealer says there are no error codes reported. Don't want to swap the car just yet, just confidence is being eroded.

Thanks in advance.
Paul

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
This is only a guess - it might be the transmission going into limp mode because it's overheating - what weight are you towing?

If your autobox has a dipstick (the later ones don't) check the fluid level with engine running and ensure it's ok - also check the fluid colour, fresh fluid is translucent red, used fluid is opaque red, overheated fluid is brown or even black in extreme cases.

·
Registered
7,163 Posts
QUOTE (cheshirepaul @ Sep 3 2011, 03:48 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=499053
...the car goes into a limp home mode where it won't go above 50mph or 3000 revs...

...Dealer says there are no error codes reported...
If it is really "limp home", the dealer needs to look again. That really should throw a code for any cause that invokes it. That said...

While the tranny fluid temp sensor will throw a code for an open or short circuit, it does not throw a code for a temperature it doesn't like (i.e., if it's not totally out of range, but is abnormally hot). They use the ATF fluid temperature to manage the clutch in the torque converter.

[If the Borg-Warner AWD - if so equipped - temperature is too high, that WILL throw a code, but that's an entirely separate issue].

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
We're towing about 1500kg - well within the weight limit I believe. I'll look at the fluid tomorrow and speak to the dealer next week.

Thanks for the replies.

·
Registered
7,163 Posts
QUOTE (Ruperts Trooper @ Sep 3 2011, 02:31 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=499171
It will be 4wd - the 2wd Santa Fe's aren't sold in UK.
The whole post was intended a general commentary on how these things behave. Not UK specific.

I still can't sort how he could be in limp mode for ANY reason and not have the ECU posting a code for something - anything.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts