Hyundai Forums banner

2007 azera 3.8 odometer broken

1K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Gerard 2 
#1 ·
The screen in the gauge cluster is blank white, and only comes on if you turn the heat all the way up for several minutes. I was wondering if anyone had a similar issue. I have a replacement, but I believe the mileage is stored in the cluster, not the ECU, so the new cluster will have the incorrect mileage. Im super confused about what to do. I would really appreciate any help because I really need to get emissions done on this car. Thank you so much!!

#2 ·
Im super confused about what to do.
Just fit the replacement cluster and make a note in the vehicle service book indicating the mileage on the original one and the replacement at the time they are swapped over. Anyone who cares will then be able to calculate the amount of miles your car has clocked up. If the number being wrong really annoys you you can probably have the mileage corrected. There are companies about that offer a mileage correction service for this exact scenario.

If I helped you fix it, why not...

Your support is greatly appreciated

#3 ·
Keep the old cluster.

Swapping the eeprom across from the old unit to the replacement should do it if you know someone who can handle a soldering iron with reasonable desoldering and soldering skills. Hot air station would do it or 2 irons flooding both sides of the chip with solder also should shift it. orientation needs to be maintained for pin 1 to align with the pin 1 location on the board.
Not sure exactly what chip it has could be a 93C56 or similar. I have done this myself and also managed to work out and decode the hex code and data locations on data dump off an i30 cluster eeprom. I could then rewrite to it. I also found a line of code that enables the trip computer as well for that model. That was challenging and rewarding.

Passive circuit component Circuit component Hardware programmer Electronic component Font

Once the black cover is removed from your clusters it'll be similar to this.

Passive circuit component Circuit component Hardware programmer Electronic instrument Audio equipment

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.